How do I get the best from my iPod?
Jan 25, 2009 at 2:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Frankie Lee

New Head-Fier
I'm sure this is asked a lot, but I can't find any clear answers, so I thought I'd ask. Short of coughing up huge moola for the Wadia, how do I get decent sound from my 80gig iPod into my amp?. At the moment I'm using an old iPod dock but the sound is very thin and quiet. Should I look at the Arcam rdock or Project's dock? I see that some of the forum sponsor's sell cables, are these worth considering?

Jan 25, 2009 at 9:00 PM Post #3 of 4
To get great sound out of any ipod, you are going to have to be willing to throw down some bills in "accessories" IMO.

You are going to need a LOD (line out dock) cable and an amp to control the sound.

LoDs range from 30 to 195 dollars and since you are starting out (I'm guessing), I would say to just get a good 30 dollar one.

A lot of people on here say that the price of a LOD doesn't matter and they are all mostly the same, but I would have to disagree. Different cables sound different due to the materials and whatnot, but you are going to be paying a lot for only a marginal difference.

Now for amps, there are great portable amps out there (my suggestion would be to go look in the portable amp page/thing for some ideas.)

You are also going to have to consider if your headphones are going to benefit form all of this.

If you have any questions or whatever, feel free to PM me. I'll be happy to help ^_^

Users who are viewing this thread

Back