How do I get better sound out of my laptop?
Aug 1, 2013 at 9:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

sgtpepper64

New Head-Fier
I just bought a Lenovo U410 Ultrabook and the headphone jack that it came with is just horrible.  I have a pair of ATH-M50's, and when plugged into the headphone jack they don't really fit right and the sound quality is worse on them compared to using cheap apple earbuds on it.  What can I buy to get good sound out of my laptop with headphones?  I was looking at the NuForce uDAC-2 HP amp, would that do the job?  I'm very new to this so I have no idea what to buy.  I have good speakers with a separate headphone jack, but I want something that I can carry with me on the go that will give me good sound out of my laptop.  Id rather not spend more than $60 unless its really necessary.  

Thanks.

Aug 1, 2013 at 11:26 PM Post #2 of 6
You will want an external DAC/amp combo.

Take a look here;

http://www.head-fi.org/t/620775/the-sub-200-portable-amps-shootout-11-10-amps-compared

I used a Total Bithead for years, but there is better technology out there now.

The DAC will help clean up the noise and the amp should improve the low end punch.

Aug 2, 2013 at 1:54 AM Post #4 of 6
You need a DAC to bypass the horrible sound quality of your laptop's soundcard. E11 is only an amp. Get a FiiO E07k, its for $80 now on amazon. Totally worth it. 

Aug 2, 2013 at 2:18 AM Post #5 of 6
Quote:
Thanks for the link.  I was looking at the sub-$100 amps and I think I'm either going to go with the FiiO E11 as of right now.  

Get the Fiio E10, USB, DAC, Head amp,  $55-$60.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back