How do I get better audio quality for gaming?
Jan 23, 2019 at 4:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

JudasPriest

New Head-Fier
My main problem is that audio isn't clear and lacks punch. Dialogue has kind of a lisp and sounds compressed. Explosions have barely any bass behind them. I was using a Creative X-Fi Titanium HD for a few years and recently bought a Sound BlasterX G6 which wasn't any better. I had the same problems on a Xtremegamer when I went to 7 but it sounded a lot better in XP. It seems like Windows is compressing the sound. I also tried going from optical out on the sound card to the G6. My mobo is a Gigabyte 270xp-sli with a Realtek ALC1220 which I tried with Dolby Headphone which don't sound too good either. I was using cheap earbuds and bought some Etymotic Research HF5s which really didn't make a difference. I can't use headphones because I don't like how they squeeze my head and my ears get too hot. I tried a bunch of different settings but nothing seemed to help. Is there some setting I am missing? I was thinking about getting a Sennheiser GX 1000 or should I wait for the Creative Superx-Fi or buy something else? I am only going to be using this for gaming and not music/video. I would like to spend around $200.

Jan 23, 2019 at 4:46 PM Post #2 of 5
I'm falling asleep but heres some info for you to think about, probably a heap of spelling mistakes & a few misplaced words but it looks readable to me....... If not just ask & i'll look at it when i wake up later.

Sennheiser GSX1000 is fine Well good (but not great) for gaming audio, its great for 7.1 if you want that But & this is ...... controversial Not the best for your audio, even in games there are some missing sounds i found when directly comparing it to other Dac/Amps & this is in 2.0, 2.0HD & 7.1 modes with & without it set to 7.1 in windows ~ Yeah i tested EVERYTHING!
Its 7.1 sounds more like a IRL 7.1 set up in a room, Its a shock to get used to from "virtual 7.1" & some people just cant get used to it. Other love it!!! (I'm one of the ones that prefer Virtual to it)
I've done a lot of headphones with gaming, Done a few amp/dac's, obviously havn't done them all. I can tell you in this order for gaming/Pc audio: Onboard (Supreme fx/crystal clear) > Fulla2 > GSX1000 > Jotunheim > Schiit stack > O2+Dac > The Element.
As for 7.1...... Nope, you wont get the best positional audio, nor the best audio for gaming unless its Stereo & this isnt preference This is My Ears & lots of testing! This all said & done Razer Surround Pro is a good option if you want to go the 7.1 route, Windows built in 7.1 is almost as good but with less control & zero tuning abilitys.

Honestly increase your bugest & get a JDS Labs The Element. As for headphones Theres many options for gaming, i'd need speicifcs but once again you will need a LARGER budget. HD660s is your God Tier, HD58X is your Cheaper version that if you don't know any better is going to be good enough! & do a similar job, Finally ATH-AD700x cheap but not nasty just lacking bass (so explosions are dull) or a ath-ad900x if you want to spend a bit more, it has a bit more bass... not much, Larger soundstage, same imaging (almost).

Settings wise for all (Except GSX1000) Windows > audio/sounds > Playback , right click, properties > Enchancements tab, Disable all enhancements > Advanced Tab, 24bit/96000hz (placebo mostly but thats the highest recommended!). Spatial sound tab, OFF > Levels tab, Ideally you want 80-99 on the volume & then you use the volume knob on the amp but this said certain amps have channel inbalance at lower volumes so tune both volumes as needed.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2019 at 9:15 AM Post #4 of 5
To echo and reaffirm what's already be mentioned:
Headphone gaming is best done with a stereo headphone with all enhancements turned OFF.

There have only been a few instances where simulated 7.1 channel processing sounds good or believable, and often they're part of a USB-only headset with mediocre sound quality.

The game software will take care of ALL the directional audio. No fancy soundcard required - soundcards are ONLY for real 5.1 or 7.1 channel audio.
The common misconception is that you need a soundcard to process directional audio correctly, but actually this is done within the game software engine.

It sounds like the first thing you need to do is turn off ALL the gimmicky sound post-processing on windows and your soundcard.
Disable any effects; windows spatial sound, dolby for atmos, surround, EQ, revert, whatever... all of it - this can be found in the Windows Sound Control Panel under Related Settings

Jan 25, 2019 at 1:09 AM Post #5 of 5
My main problem is that audio isn't clear and lacks punch. Dialogue has kind of a lisp and sounds compressed. Explosions have barely any bass behind them. I was using a Creative X-Fi Titanium HD for a few years and recently bought a Sound BlasterX G6 which wasn't any better. I had the same problems on a Xtremegamer when I went to 7 but it sounded a lot better in XP. It seems like Windows is compressing the sound. I also tried going from optical out on the sound card to the G6. My mobo is a Gigabyte 270xp-sli with a Realtek ALC1220 which I tried with Dolby Headphone which don't sound too good either. I was using cheap earbuds and bought some Etymotic Research HF5s which really didn't make a difference. I can't use headphones because I don't like how they squeeze my head and my ears get too hot. I tried a bunch of different settings but nothing seemed to help. Is there some setting I am missing? I was thinking about getting a Sennheiser GX 1000 or should I wait for the Creative Superx-Fi or buy something else? I am only going to be using this for gaming and not music/video. I would like to spend around $200.
Contact Creative Labs Tech support, tell them audio sounded better using Windows XP, over Windows 7, see if they have any ideas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back