How do I get 2 optical outputs?
Oct 25, 2005 at 2:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

keiron99

100+ Head-Fier
I have an "integrated" motherboard with a single optical output. However, I now need 2 optical outs (long explanation, don't ask). I've tried a "splitter" but it's a bit flaky (maybe just poorly built). I once borrowed a sound card thinking it would supplement my existing output, but once inserted, it disabled the outputs on my motherboard so I was no better off.

Can anyone please advise? Thanks in advance.

Oct 25, 2005 at 2:45 PM Post #2 of 4
You should be able to run 2 soundcards, even one onboard and a pci or usb one as well. I've done it on my Shuttle and others here have a games soundcard and music one as well.

You may just have needed to set which soundcard is used by Windows as default. Only some applications give you the option to choose which soundcard - Foobar does this but iTunes uses the default one.

The splitter should also work - Maplin do them and I've seen them used before by home cinema enthusiasts.

Steve

Oct 25, 2005 at 3:21 PM Post #3 of 4
Thanks, Stevie. I think I'll give it a go with another sound card. Now the obvious question...I know this forum is littered with such threads...but any recommendations? I'm only using the optical out, from Itunes, so don't need fancy jiggery pokery stuff. It'll be going into either a Perpetual Technologies P3A Dac thence to my Stax energiser, or Rotel Pre/pro/power and Dynaudio speakers. So, a decent set up, but if I only need a fiver's worth of card that's all I'll get! Thanks.

Oct 25, 2005 at 5:27 PM Post #4 of 4
Not sure which of the cheaper ones would be OK, the one most people recommend on a budget is the Chaintech AV710 (name & model off the top o my head but I think that's the one) but it's hard to get outside of the US.

I hope a more experienced soundcard person will jump in with a solution for you though.

Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back