How Do I Find A Customs Broker?
Jun 26, 2007 at 2:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

insomniac

Headphoneus Supremus
I ordered something from a seller in Singapore and the shipping company just called asking me what customs broker I wanted to use. Until now, I didn't even know what a customs broker was. The shipping company offered to find one for me but I've got a feeling they are going to levy a whole bunch of additional charges on me.

So does anyone have any idea how I go about finding a good and relatively inexpensive customs broker? I am in New York City. Apparently, the broker will charge me handling fees as well as an entry fee. This is on top of any duties I need to pay for the item.

Jun 26, 2007 at 3:29 PM Post #2 of 4
Hi. Normally, for personal uses, most people would simply use courier services such as FedEx or DHL. Unless, of course you are buying something quite sizable or bulk.

Brokers will charge fees that could include handling, customs formalities, fees Less container load shipments. It is not easy to tell if the broker is charging you excessively unless you're in the industry. You simply have to shop around for brokers and ask them for fees.

One way is to contact customs brokers in the US to check for rates - many brokers have a network of business partners, so they will be able to serve you without you having to contact a broker in Singapore directly. This helps anlot as you will have a contact point that is much easier to reach.

Of course, you should make it clear with the broker the total fees (customs duties excluded) for the shipment before engaging them.

Hope it all works out.

Jun 26, 2007 at 4:48 PM Post #3 of 4
Thanks, Ticky. Unfortunately, the item has already arrived in the U.S. via a smaller carrier (not UPS, FedEx, USPS, etc). So I can't use the carrier or an affiliate as the broker.

Jun 26, 2007 at 7:00 PM Post #4 of 4
I never done it before but from what I read and I saw on TV you can do it yourself. They show a case with UPS (since you UPS charge a lot for brokerage) but it's valid for any import.If you want to not pay they brokerage fee you ask them to do your own brokerage. Which involve going to shipper warehouse get some paper. Going to the local Custom office. Fill out more paper pay tax and duty then retrieve your stuff.

It look easy on TV. A lot of waiting in line. Sign paper a couple of time then pay the custom officer.

So you can do it yourself to save you the fee of a custom broker if it's just a few item you bought.

I would call my local custom office to ask help on how to proceed if I want to do it myself or maybe ask the shipping company what the procedure to do your own custom.

EDIT: That was for Canada. I assume a similar process can happen in the Us

Users who are viewing this thread

Back