how do i encode lame?
Feb 26, 2007 at 7:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

uzziah

Headphoneus Supremus
ok, this is newbie 101 and it's odd i haven't done this before, but what should i use to encode to LAME? i use EAC to rip to wav, and flac frontend to encode copy to flac, and itunes to encode an AAC copy for my shuffle, but itunes bugs me and i think i might rather have mp3's than aac's

Feb 27, 2007 at 3:07 AM Post #3 of 14
1. Download the LAME encoder.
2. Configure EAC to use the LAME encoder. In EAC, go to compression options and find the path to the LAME executable. (It works best if you extract LAME to your EAC directory).

You should be using EAC in secure mode to rip and encode to mp3 files in one session.

Feb 27, 2007 at 5:10 AM Post #4 of 14
EAC and LAME configuration settings

EAC has an option to keep the wav files after extraction and not delete it. Check that and you don't have to rip or manually convert the wav/FLAC files to mp3s.

Feb 27, 2007 at 5:53 AM Post #5 of 14
Download LAME 3.97, follow the steps others posted. I use LAME settings -V 2 --vbr-old

Feb 27, 2007 at 2:42 PM Post #6 of 14
I think the OP's question was about transcoding FLAC to MP3, not ripping.

For transcoding, I use foobar... simple and just works. LAME needs to be downloaded separately from foobar (follow the links above). You get to tell foobar how much compression you want and I would suggest you decide for yourself how large you want your MP3s to be... the typical recommendations you find around here are overkill for most people.

Nov 6, 2007 at 6:39 AM Post #7 of 14
Excuse me, but could someone explain what I'm doing wrong. I used to use LAME, and I had a directory I always copied over when I reformatted, that contained LAME and it's executable. I download it now and there is no executable; it all has to be compiled. Why don't they provide a guide for this? This is so frustrating. Could someone just give me the low-down of how to get LAME setup real quick so I can start encoding? I don't like using front-ends or using other programs to do my encoding. I want to do it manually, the way I've always done, with my own init strings, in a DOS box, LIKE ALWAYS!!!11ONE ARGH! >_< hehe
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 6, 2007 at 7:18 AM Post #9 of 14
Thank you so much! I wonder why they don't just put this stuff up on the main site.

Nov 6, 2007 at 7:24 AM Post #10 of 14
nm

Nov 6, 2007 at 11:10 AM Post #11 of 14
go to rarewares.org as someome mentioned and get lamedropXP

its a small easy to use app to make mp3's usually with latest lame compile installed in it.

just drag and drop your wav files on it and voila!

Nov 6, 2007 at 12:16 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Logistics /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thank you so much! I wonder why they don't just put this stuff up on the main site.

Because distributing LAME in binary (executable) form is not entirely legal.
It only takes two commands (./configure && make) to build LAME from source though...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back