How do I downsample 96/24 apple lossless to put on my itouch using jriver20?
Feb 16, 2015 at 3:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

500+ Head-Fier
I'm sure this has been asked and answered many times, but here goes:

I've started buying downloads from HDTracks as well as Acoustic Sounds in 96/24 FLAC.  I've converted them to 96/24 Apple Lossless.  My main player is JRiver 20 (for PCs).   Now, I'd like to save those files but also downsample them so I can play them on my ITouch 3.  Can someone please give me a step-by-step (hopefully easy) way to do this with JRiver20?  

Thanks very much in advance!

Feb 16, 2015 at 3:15 PM Post #2 of 18
Download and install dBpoweramp. Select and right-click the files you want to convert. Click Convert To. Next to Converting To, select either AIFF or WAV. (To change the bit depth and sample rate, you need to use an uncompressed format here.) Next to Bit depth, select 16 bit. Next to Sample rate, select 44.1 kHz. For the output folder, you can have the new files go into the same folder, another folder, or be dynamically generated, which requires a bit more technical knowledge. Once the uncompressed 16-bit / 44.1 kHz files have been created, you can then convert to your desired compressed lossless or lossy format.

(Sorry I gave a tutorial for another program.)

Feb 16, 2015 at 3:56 PM Post #3 of 18
Thanks! I actually have FB power amp. I'm wondering, though, why I can't down sample my apple lossless version without having to reconvert it to AIFF or WAV? (As I've already converted it from FLAC to Apple Lossless)

Feb 16, 2015 at 4:00 PM Post #5 of 18
Thanks! I actually have FB power amp. I'm wondering, though, why I can't down sample my apple lossless version without having to reconvert it to AIFF or WAV? (As I've already converted it from FLAC to Apple Lossless)

I mentioned that dBpoweramp requires you to convert to an uncompressed format in order to change the bit depth and sample rate. (FLAC and ALAC are compressed lossless.) Another option is to simply convert to lossy 256 kbps AAC. This would allow you to circumvent the extra step and fit far more music onto your DAP. You'd be hard pressed to tell the difference between it and lossless anyway.

Feb 16, 2015 at 4:23 PM Post #7 of 18
Thanks again. So another dumb question by "unzipping' an ALAC or FLAC file to WAV, do you lose any info? Is "lossless" truly lossless if compressed? And finally, by down sampling, you don't lose tge original lossless 96/24 file - you just create a new additional file, correct?

Feb 16, 2015 at 4:31 PM Post #8 of 18
Thanks again. So another dumb question by "unzipping' an ALAC or FLAC file to WAV, do you lose any info? Is "lossless" truly lossless if compressed? And finally, by down sampling, you don't lose tge original lossless 96/24 file - you just create a new additional file, correct?

Lossless is lossless. You can endlessly convert between lossless formats (of the same bit depth and sample rate) with no loss of data. (And there are no audible differences between high-res and lossless Red Book 16-bit / 44.1 kHz despite the loss of data.) Compressed lossless is like a ZIP archive that is uncompressed before or during playback. When you convert files, you create new ones. The original files are not deleted unless your software settings are configured to do so. A disadvantage of doing the conversion in programs like JRiver and iTunes is that the tags for the files are the same, so it may be tricky to organize them. That's why I prefer the manual way. It also helps that I use an advanced player with a command-line interface that requires manual selection of files.

Feb 16, 2015 at 6:29 PM Post #10 of 18
Thank you! this is very helpful.

Now, anyone have an idea how to do this using only JRiver20 as well?

You mean organizing the different versions of the files so they're separated by format? You could probably have it alter the tags when it converts. Alternately, I know that iTunes can convert files to a certain format when you transfer them to an iPod, but without storing a copy on your hard drive. JRMC should be able to as well. Just look through the user manual. This could be a good strategy if you want to use lossy files, but only for your iPod.

Feb 16, 2015 at 9:03 PM Post #11 of 18
It's a learning curve alright :)  Well, I managed to do one full downsample (Joni Mitchell - Hejira) from 96-24 to 44.1-16 and get it on to my iTouch 3, but it took a while!  I actually did it all through JRiver20 - hopefully it'll get easier as I do more of these - thanks for all your help!

Feb 17, 2015 at 11:19 AM Post #12 of 18
Assuming the iTouch works like any other portable
- it popup in JRiver in drives & device
- you make a play list
- you tells how to convert e.g. everything to MP3 or any other format
- you start the sync
My personal experience is that the whole process in JRiver is a bit flaky and often it fails me.
Because of this I use MusicBee today for the sync, far more stable with Android devices.
Bit more detail on my website: http://www.thewelltemperedcomputer.com/SW/Players/MC14/MC_sync.htm

Feb 17, 2015 at 11:46 AM Post #13 of 18
Thanks - I just successfully converted a 96-24 FLAC to 44.1-16 ALAC in one step with JRiver20.   There are two things to do, apparently - one is that, before you convert, load 16 bits instead of (at least with mine) the 24 bit default.  Then change the output sample rate for 44.1 (in my case, it's 96 in and then changing the 'out' to 44.1).  It creates a second file in my c: drive (I think), but doesn't wipe out (I hope) my FLAC file. I don't rename the new file - I think (I hope!) it just knows that it's not a FLAC file and so creates that second file.

In other words, no need to create a WAV or AIFF file first.  But I might check out MusicBee, although I'm using an apple, not an adroid.

May 16, 2015 at 6:10 PM Post #14 of 18
  Thanks - I just successfully converted a 96-24 FLAC to 44.1-16 ALAC in one step with JRiver20.   There are two things to do, apparently - one is that, before you convert, load 16 bits instead of (at least with mine) the 24 bit default.  Then change the output sample rate for 44.1 (in my case, it's 96 in and then changing the 'out' to 44.1).  It creates a second file in my c: drive (I think), but doesn't wipe out (I hope) my FLAC file. I don't rename the new file - I think (I hope!) it just knows that it's not a FLAC file and so creates that second file.

In other words, no need to create a WAV or AIFF file first.  But I might check out MusicBee, although I'm using an apple, not an adroid.

Can you explain this again? You lost me on the part where you said', "...load 16 bits instead of ...the 24 bit default. Then change the sample rate...". Where is Jriver20 do you see these options?
Thanks

May 16, 2015 at 6:42 PM Post #15 of 18
where it says 'convert format' (at the bottom left of the screen) there should be a link for "options" (bottom left of the screen). click that and you'll get a pop up.  at the bottom of the pop up you have another link (an arrow pointing down) for "bit depth" - that's where you enter 16 bits instead of 24 (my default is 24, so I have to manually change that to 16).  wish I could do a screen shot to show you.

let me know if that works ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back