How do I do a DIY Passive crossover?
Feb 27, 2014 at 11:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

AONihilist

New Head-Fier
I'm feeling really, really bored now that it's my holidays, 3 months of it. I've got some spare BA drivers ripped out from broken IEMs (cable issues or, in the case of my TDK BA200, a busted resistor bulb) and I thought I'd just play with them a little.

Note: This is just for fun. No serious stuff in here. I'm just experimenting and who knows, I'll get something nice out of this.

Anyway, anyone knows how to design/make a passive crossover? I don't want to start building an IEM full of circuits and stuff.

Feb 28, 2014 at 11:43 AM Post #4 of 9

Can you post pictures of TDK BA200. It uses driver from Sonion which comes with crossover.
http://www.sonion.com/Products/Transducers/Receivers/1723%20AcuPass%20TM.aspx

Sorry, not at the moment. I'm at my cousin's house. Staying in for a couple of days and I don't have the drivers on hand. I do know that they have their own circuit, but I just want to experiment with them.
  Have you read the DIY-IEM thread? 

A passive crossover is (part of) a circuit. 

I know. I was wondering whether there is a way to shrink it smaller than what I am seeing all over the Net. Also, I'd prefer some links I can have a look at. Thanks.

Feb 28, 2014 at 11:50 AM Post #5 of 9
In case of IEM and case of TDK BA200 you will have just a capacitor and resitor.
• Caps roll off the LF’s (high pass)
• Resistors in series with Woofers pull out the LF bump
Tweeter: 2323 through  series cap
Woofer : Resistor in series.
You will have to experiment with values

In addition you have acoustic filter which will smooth the response. Damper you will find in stem of TDK BA200

Feb 28, 2014 at 12:05 PM Post #6 of 9

I know. I was wondering whether there is a way to shrink it smaller than what I am seeing all over the Net. Also, I'd prefer some links I can have a look at. Thanks.

SMT parts? 

For example here is a replacement board for the Shure E5c. 

No reason you cant air-wire the components though. 

Feb 28, 2014 at 9:54 PM Post #7 of 9
In case of IEM and case of TDK BA200 you will have just a capacitor and resitor.
• Caps roll off the LF’s (high pass)

• Resistors in series with Woofers pull out the LF bump
Tweeter: 2323 through  series cap

Woofer : Resistor in series.

You will have to experiment with values

In addition you have acoustic filter which will smooth the response. Damper you will find in stem of TDK BA200
What I was originally thinking was to use the BA200's drivers as a springboard and then add drivers around it to improve on the sound. But I'll try your idea out.

SMT parts? 

For example here is a replacement board for the Shure E5c. 

No reason you cant air-wire the components though. 

Air-wire meaning? Directly wiring each to another without the caps and resistors?

Feb 28, 2014 at 10:34 PM Post #8 of 9
Nov 12, 2022 at 11:10 AM Post #9 of 9
Something like that
Im still Experimenting with this.

Attachments

• 5467F020-6446-4CF7-86CA-BC090AD32552.jpeg
    5467F020-6446-4CF7-86CA-BC090AD32552.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back