How do i convert the bit rate of my mp3 files!!!
Oct 8, 2010 at 12:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

headphoniac

New Head-Fier
Hi all,
im listening to 128 mp3. and from what im hearing my music should be over 200 kb. Im getting jh5 pros as well. I have a macbook pro and i have no idea how to upconvert my old mp3s

Oct 8, 2010 at 12:53 AM Post #2 of 17
upconverting old mp3s is a no no.  you'll need to rip the music from the cds into a higher bitrate.

its like upconverting standard def tv onto an hd tv.  you're going to get artifacts and the end product won't look good at all.

Oct 8, 2010 at 12:54 AM Post #3 of 17
You can't turn 128kbs into 320kbs and get increased quality, the audio degradation is already there. When you convert lossy>lossy you lose quality as well, so the best thing to do is to convert CD's into FLAC (Free Lossless Audio Codec) or download/purchase the same music in the higher bit rate.
Long story short, there is no saving your low bit rate files.

Oct 8, 2010 at 1:00 AM Post #4 of 17
You may want to do some basic reading on digital audio if that's a serious question. This is a good place to start. Bitrate section is here. In a nutshell, you can't upconvert lossless audio - once information is gone, it's gone for good. It would be the same as trying to get the original raw image back from a jpeg. To get higher-bitrate mp3s you would need to re-rip the source material (CD or otherwise). 

Oct 8, 2010 at 1:18 AM Post #6 of 17
Quote:
so youre saying i need to either upload cd's then convert them or buy already high bit rate music. a) at what bit rate does itunes sell its music? B) what is re-ripping?

Upload CDs??

How'd you get your music in the first place? If it's CDs, stick them in your computer and rip them again (that's re-ripping). Else you need to buy your music at a higher bit rate.

Oct 8, 2010 at 6:05 AM Post #8 of 17

Quote:
so youre saying i need to either upload cd's then convert them or buy already high bit rate music. a) at what bit rate does itunes sell its music? B) what is re-ripping?

a)I think itunes used to sells music at 128 and 256...Although it is probable they sell the 256 kbps only now..
b)what he means by re-ripping actually is just to rip your cd again in. by rip he means just get the songs from your cd to your computer

Oct 8, 2010 at 6:46 AM Post #9 of 17
read some tutorials first , to get the basic facts right

and then you decide what bitrate you need your music to be

upsampling is like putting ice cream in a bowl of crap.it still tastes like crap.

FLAC>320KBPS>256 KBPS>192 kbps>128 kbps

actually just dump all your 128 kbpks mp3 and go for flac/320 kbps mp3

if you're gonna spend money on good phones , better start by upgrading your music source.

Oct 8, 2010 at 3:20 PM Post #10 of 17
Just to clarify, you cannot get extra detail out of a 128 kbps file by upconverting it. Let me make a rough analogy. Imagine you have two buckets, the smaller one holding 128 ounces of water, the larger holding 256. The one labeled 128 is full with water, the one labeled 256 is empty. You then decide to pour all the water in the 128 bucket into the 256 bucket. However you can only fill half of the 256 bucket, because it's twice as large as the 128 bucket, wasting half of the bucket's water-carrying potential. Heck, you might have even lost a few drops of water in the process of pouring it into the larger bucket!

That's essentially what happens when you try to up-convert a music file. The bitrate tells you how much information a file can carry. Putting a small amount of information into a larger container doesn't actually give you any more information, and you might instead actually lose a bit of information in the processof trying to do so.

Oct 8, 2010 at 3:38 PM Post #11 of 17
poor original poster got 'ripped' in a different way....
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 19, 2012 at 12:55 AM Post #12 of 17
What is a good program that I can burn my cd into FLAC?  I am a newb in this field.  I know I am the dumbest one in the room so I need a very easy. Who can help a poor soul like me? 

Apr 19, 2012 at 10:16 AM Post #15 of 17

Quote:
Hi all,
im listening to 128 mp3. and from what im hearing my music should be over 200 kb. Im getting jh5 pros as well. I have a macbook pro and i have no idea how to upconvert my old mp3s

It's not going to improve anything. All you're doing is increasing the memory. You can't gain something out of nothing. If you have CDs, it's better to re-rip them. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back