How do I connect up a headphone amp to my set up?
Sep 14, 2015 at 8:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

chrismckay

New Head-Fier
Hello Guys,

I am looking to invest in an over the ear headphone and amp so that I can continue listening to my music after the wife has went to bed.

I am not very up to date with current hi-fi jargon, I purchased my Roksan Caspian cd player and amplification set up many moons ago and enjoyed the sound so I stopped reading up on
hardware!!!...so Im not sure on what is best and how to go about it.

My first question is where do I connect the headphone amp to?.

My integrated amplifier has its pre-out already in use, there is a tape-out, could this be used?

I also have a Fiio X3 portable player that plays flac files, could this be used?.

Which would offer the best sound if in fact I can hook up by both methods?

Chris...

Sep 15, 2015 at 11:24 PM Post #2 of 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismckay /img/forum/go_quote.gif

My first question is where do I connect the headphone amp to?.

My integrated amplifier has its pre-out already in use, there is a tape-out, could this be used?

Yes, you can use the tape loop output. It just sends the input signal out through that port, no problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismckay /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I also have a Fiio X3 portable player that plays flac files, could this be used?.

Which would offer the best sound if in fact I can hook up by both methods?

It will depend on what headphone amp you use. Most have only one analogue input, some are DAC-HPamp combo units with no analogue inputs at all and were designed to be used with computers. The X3 however has a coaxial output so if you get a DAC-HPamp combo unit you can use optical out from the CDP and coaxial from the X3. Alternately if you get a headphone amp that has a DAC with SPDIF inputs as well as analogue inputs directly into the amp circuit, then you can use the Fiio on the SPDIF coax input and then the CDP through your speaker integrated amp/preamp's tape loop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back