How do I connect my computer to the receiver?
Jan 27, 2010 at 8:22 PM Post #32 of 41
Jan 27, 2010 at 8:48 PM Post #33 of 41
That info says this give the ability to bitstream to the ATI 5XX series and the Xonars?
Don't the new ATI card do this anyway and the HDAV 1.3 already does this also..

Unless I am mis-understanding the information.
I like when they produce software to handle issues like this as it makes it easy to get support.

Jan 27, 2010 at 8:49 PM Post #34 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBSCIX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That info says this give the ability to btistream to the ATI 5XX series and the Xonars?
Don't the new ATI card do this anyway and the HDAV 1.3 already does this also..

Unless I am mi-understanding the information.

With PowerDVD yes. But this post is about using free FFDShow that accomplishes the bitstreaming.

Jan 27, 2010 at 8:53 PM Post #35 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by tosehee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With PowerDVD yes. But this post is about using free FFDShow that accomplishes the bitstreaming.

I see. The Xonars use Arcsoft media player and the HTHD uses PowerDVD9.
So this lets you use whatever player you want? Very cool.

Jan 28, 2010 at 12:12 AM Post #36 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by linuxworks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
its not like that even though it may appear.

our dac technology can let anyone, even casual listeners, hear the diff between the noise levels in mp3 compression (and artifacts) vs lossless.

but the same can't be said about 24bit audio. that's black magic and mostly marketing for home audio. I'd argue that 20 bit is doing well and even studios are hard pressed to get more than 20 *honest* bits from their a/d chains.

16/44.1 uncompressed makes good sense. 24bit *anything* at home really is a lie and I hate seeing people going nuts over bits that are entirely in the noise level of your output stages and dacs.

really.

No, not really. It has nothing to do with bit depth. Both Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio offer UNCOMPRESSED multichannel audio. If you don't think that can offer a noticable improvement over lossy compressed Dolby Digital and DTS then I guess you haven't heard a good TrueHD or Master Audio soundtrack in a halfway decent home theater setup. I also hope you can recognize the irony of making such statements in a forum like Head-Fi.
beerchug.gif

Jan 28, 2010 at 1:32 AM Post #37 of 41
Well, I heard some damn good DD+ (HD-DVD Transformer I), and I can't tell it from TrueHD in BD.

So, I still think that some sound tracks that are well done are hard to tell apart from the lossless.

But, most DD+ or DTS are not as well mastered as the lossless format in general.

Apr 27, 2010 at 8:41 AM Post #38 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBSCIX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The new Auzentech HTHD 7.1 offer Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HDMA over analog outputs if that is something that might help you with your configuration. You can still use the HDMI outputs etc, but it is nice to have these standards available for analog output if you don;t have a compatible receiver for HDMI or have no receiver at all
smily_headphones1.gif

"Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HDMA over analog outputs" is exactly what I am trying to do, but so far without success. I have had the Auzentech HomeTheater since it first came out, but until this week I was using it under Windows XP. Now I am running Windows 7 Professional 64-bit. Any help getting sound to work would be very much appreciated.

Blu-ray movies play properly. Sound is good as long as "Use HDMI" is not selected in PowerDVD. If "Use HDMI" is selected there is no sound with either output mode, neither "Non-decoded Dolby Digital/DTS audio to external device" nor "PCM decoded by PowerDVD".

HDMI is routed from the video card (Radeon 4870x2) through the Auzentech to the monitor. HDMI is set in the Auzentech control panel to "Use hardware default".

The Auzentech drivers are 4.5. PowerDVD is 9.0.2528.51. For testing I've been using PotC and Dark Knight, making sure that the proper sound track was selected in each case. In the Windows Sound settings I have tried both "Speakers" and "Digital Audio (HDMI)". PowerDVD is actually using "Digital Audio (HDMI)". I can see the bars move on the volume display. The test function for "Digital Audio (HDMI)" does not produce any sound either. If I disable "Digital Audio (HDMI)", PowerDVD no longer has an HDMI option.

Apr 29, 2010 at 8:08 AM Post #39 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lavcat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HDMA over analog outputs" is exactly what I am trying to do, but so far without success. I have had the Auzentech HomeTheater since it first came out, but until this week I was using it under Windows XP. Now I am running Windows 7 Professional 64-bit. Any help getting sound to work would be very much appreciated.

Blu-ray movies play properly. Sound is good as long as "Use HDMI" is not selected in PowerDVD. If "Use HDMI" is selected there is no sound with either output mode, neither "Non-decoded Dolby Digital/DTS audio to external device" nor "PCM decoded by PowerDVD".

HDMI is routed from the video card (Radeon 4870x2) through the Auzentech to the monitor. HDMI is set in the Auzentech control panel to "Use hardware default".

The Auzentech drivers are 4.5. PowerDVD is 9.0.2528.51. For testing I've been using PotC and Dark Knight, making sure that the proper sound track was selected in each case. In the Windows Sound settings I have tried both "Speakers" and "Digital Audio (HDMI)". PowerDVD is actually using "Digital Audio (HDMI)". I can see the bars move on the volume display. The test function for "Digital Audio (HDMI)" does not produce any sound either. If I disable "Digital Audio (HDMI)", PowerDVD no longer has an HDMI option.

Mainly a hopefull bump since the topic is falling away, but I do have some more information:

In the PowerDVD settings I have only two setting choices under HDMI, "PCM decoded by PowerDVD" and "Non-decoded Dolby Digital/DTS audio to external device". According to what I read in the Auzentech faqs, I should see a third choice: "Non-decoded high-definition audio to external device" when the movie is playing. I don't see this choice. That is probably the source of the problem. How do I get "Non-decoded high-definition audio to external device" to appear as a choice in PowerDVD? I have uninstalled/reinstalled the software a couple of times.

Also, I have the video card's HDMI sound device disabled.

Apr 29, 2010 at 5:11 PM Post #40 of 41
I would get a 5XXX series ATI card. I'm using a 5770, running my monitor thru DVI, and using the HDMI to my receiver.Using power DVD, and it works perfectly.You can get a 5600 series ATI card that does not use a power connector from your power supply. The only caveat is if your receiver does not have HDMI connections or pass thru. That is the easiest, and simpler way to go.The sound card that you got you can still use, but it's probably better suited to be used for stereo only, or connected to a headphone amp.

Apr 29, 2010 at 9:11 PM Post #41 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by orl2222 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would get a 5XXX series ATI card. I'm using a 5770, running my monitor thru DVI, and using the HDMI to my receiver.Using power DVD, and it works perfectly.You can get a 5600 series ATI card that does not use a power connector from your power supply. The only caveat is if your receiver does not have HDMI connections or pass thru. That is the easiest, and simpler way to go.The sound card that you got you can still use, but it's probably better suited to be used for stereo only, or connected to a headphone amp.

Thanks for the response. I don't have a receiver though, nor do I want to get one. I'm trying to do what ROBSCIX was suggesting, namely using the analog outputs of the HomeTheater for lossless Dolby or DTS from Blu-ray without a receiver. Auzentech has verified that it can be done (I checked with them before I even bought the HomeTheater) but no one can tell me exactly how to do it.

What Auzentech said was: "You can get non-downsampled audio output through the headphone port. To get this output, the HDMI port must be connected with any kind of vidio device such as digital TV or Monitor."

I might try asking on the Auzentech forums, but generally the signal to noise ratio there is not so high.

By the way the Auzentech HomeTheater has a pretty decent headphone output.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back