How do I connect a headphone amp to my AV-receiver?
Dec 18, 2011 at 8:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

CarefulDogg

New Head-Fier
I'm thinking of upgrading my head-fi equipment. Right now I'm using the Beyerdynamic DT880 (250 ohms) headphones, which are connected to my Yamaha RX-V663 AV-receiver or Asus Xonar Essence ST audio card (I have to switch manually).

Now I'm willing to replace my audio card, but I'd like to keep using my AV-receiver in my future setup. A lot of sources are connected to it, so I like to use my AV-receiver as an input selector. Is this possible with my AV-receiver?

Let's say I'm interested in buying the Asus Xonar Essence One DAC/Amp with the Sennheiser HD800 (not sure if that's a good combo). How would I connect them to my AV-receiver?

Thanks in advance ^_^

Dec 19, 2011 at 2:49 AM Post #2 of 18
Doesn't look like that receiver has a digital output (other than HDMI). You would be better off going straight from the computer to the AMP/DAC, otherwise you would have to use the pre-out and that would defeat the purpose of buying a DAC since the receiver would be doing that.

Dec 19, 2011 at 4:50 AM Post #3 of 18
So I need to replace my AV-receiver? or do I have another worthy option?

I actually don't use the HDMI-out on the receiver. I prefer to connect the video directly to my TV. Would that help?

If I do decide to replace my AV-receiver, should I just look for one with a digital-out? or are there others that have a decent headphone out that can drive the HD800 together with my Monitor Audio RX2 speakers?

Dec 20, 2011 at 4:01 PM Post #5 of 18
This would work, but probably not cost effective. http://www.octavainc.com/HDMI%201x1%20Audio%20Converter.html

Dec 21, 2011 at 11:40 AM Post #7 of 18
Your receiver would not work with that headphone amp very well. That amps only input is Digital  and your receivers only output is analog. You would be better off finding an amp that has either analog inputs or a combo of analog and digital.

Dec 21, 2011 at 11:59 AM Post #8 of 18
Use the tape line out to drive your hp amp

Dec 21, 2011 at 7:19 PM Post #9 of 18
Quote:
Your receiver would not work with that headphone amp very well. That amps only input is Digital  and your receivers only output is analog. You would be better off finding an amp that has either analog inputs or a combo of analog and digital.

Which amps with analogue inputs, which are around the same price range of the Xonar Essence One, are recommended for headphones like the Sennheiser HD800?

Edit: Actually... How would I connect the amp even if it had analogue inputs? sure, my AV-receiver has a few analogue outputs as well, but they're meant for specific inputs. I want to use my AV-receiver as an input selector for the other inputs I'm using.

Quote:
Use the tape line out to drive your hp amp

http://www.yamaha-online.de/download-pictures-new/rx-v663_back.jpg

Not sure which output you mean. Are you talking about the MD/CD-R output? I'm not sure if that output can be used to be make the AV-receiver an input selector. I think you can only listen in on the MD/CD-R input with this. I'm not sure though... does anyone have any experience with this?

Dec 21, 2011 at 8:41 PM Post #10 of 18
I am interested in this subject as well. I am interested in connecting the HD 800 to a receiver for use with video gaming but haven't found much experience with people doing this. The receiver I have now has some interference with the headphone jack but it is a 13 year old receiver.... I'm surprised not many people use the 800 for gaming in addition to music listening.... unless I am missing something.

Dec 22, 2011 at 4:06 AM Post #11 of 18
CarefulDogg

Just run a optical digital cable from the optical output on the Essence ST to the optical digital input on the Yamaha RX-V663.
Set the Essence STs control panel to SPDIF output to Dolby Digital Live (might also need to set the Audio Channel to 6 channels)
Just leave the DT880 250-Ohm plugged into the RX-V663.
The Yamaha's are one of the few receivers that offer surround sound for headphones.

I'm still trying to figure out headphone stuff on my brand new (8 days old) RX-V671.
My DT770 Pro 250-Ohm sound just fine plugged into it.

Dec 22, 2011 at 1:55 PM Post #12 of 18

Quote:
CarefulDogg

Just run a optical digital cable from the optical output on the Essence ST to the optical digital input on the Yamaha RX-V663.
Set the Essence STs control panel to SPDIF output to Dolby Digital Live (might also need to set the Audio Channel to 6 channels)
Just leave the DT880 250-Ohm plugged into the RX-V663.
The Yamaha's are one of the few receivers that offer surround sound for headphones.

I'm still trying to figure out headphone stuff on my brand new (8 days old) RX-V671.
My DT770 Pro 250-Ohm sound just fine plugged into it.

Thanks for the advice, but that's not really the problem. I want to upgrade my headphones to something like the HD800 or T1. These phones need to be properly amped, so I need to figure out how to connect a headphone amp to my receiver.

I've read that your receiver has an audio-out in the AV-out section. Does that output the audio of the selected input? Could you use that for a headphone amp?

Dec 22, 2011 at 2:41 PM Post #13 of 18

Quote:
Thanks for the advice, but that's not really the problem. I want to upgrade my headphones to something like the HD800 or T1. These phones need to be properly amped, so I need to figure out how to connect a headphone amp to my receiver.
I've read that your receiver has an audio-out in the AV-out section. Does that output the audio of the selected input? Could you use that for a headphone amp?

My RX-V671 does have an RCA audio output, I'm still learning about the RX-V671, but I would guess it would output whatever the selected input is?
I'm sure there are RCA outputs on the RX-V663 you can use, might be best to email Yamaha's support and ask them.
Also the website AVSforum has threads on Yamaha receivers, good place to ask.

Dec 24, 2011 at 6:42 PM Post #14 of 18
I just tried connecting a pair of old active speakers to my receiver's CD/MD-R output. This didn't seem to work. I think it only works with the audio going in the CD/MD-R input...

So I guess I need another AV receiver to connect a headphone amp to it...

Mar 3, 2021 at 8:35 AM Post #15 of 18
An old post I know but i'm having a similar problem. I have a headphone amplifier but it does not have base and treble controls so I would somehow like to connect it to my Onkyo intergrated amplifier as this has tone controls and my tape, cd and turntable are connected to the Onkyo. I was thinking would it be possible to buy a 6.5mm headphone jack to red and white rca jack cable and connect it to the headphone output of the Onkyo and the red and white to the inputs of the headphone amplifier? This way I am getting a signal to the headphone amplifier and I just select on the Onkyo which component I want to use. Any imput would be welcome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back