How do I choose custom IEMs in the UK?
Dec 13, 2016 at 3:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Joel Benford

New Head-Fier
I’m in the UK, on the south-west side of London. I’d like to buy a set of custom ear-mold IEMs to use with a Chord Mojo. Budget is on the order of a thousand pounds. Normally I buy equipment from hi-fi dealers after a dem. But how does one dem custom IEMs?

I see Noble Audio have universal and custom versions of many models, so I could perhaps dem the universal and order the custom. Do any other custom IEM makers make universal and custom versions of the same thing? [It seems more than a little unfair on the dealer, though, to get a dem and then order direct.]

It seems Ultimate Ears have at least a UK website and UK pricing, but the only way to try them is to buy them. This is not something I’m prepared to do.

I gather a fair number of universals can be converted to custom by third parties. I wonder whether I might be better off shopping for suitable universals and then getting them adapted.

Does anybody have any general advice on how to go about this?

As for actual makes and models...

I'm an old flat earther. I like "pace rhythm and timing" as the kids call it these days, musicality. I like an even tonal response with articulate deep bass and no surplus of mid-bass. I particularly like the four stings on a bass guitar to sound different in pitch from each other, not all four producing the same thud. I like dynamics, which I suspect isn't something IEMs do very well. I'm less worried about transparency, it's nice to have. I'm not bothered about sound-staging at all.

Are there any obvious suspects I should be checking out?

Dec 13, 2016 at 4:00 PM Post #2 of 4
  I’m in the UK, on the south-west side of London. I’d like to buy a set of custom ear-mold IEMs to use with a Chord Mojo. Budget is on the order of a thousand pounds. Normally I buy equipment from hi-fi dealers after a dem. But how does one dem custom IEMs?

I see Noble Audio have universal and custom versions of many models, so I could perhaps dem the universal and order the custom. Do any other custom IEM makers make universal and custom versions of the same thing? [It seems more than a little unfair on the dealer, though, to get a dem and then order direct.]

It seems Ultimate Ears have at least a UK website and UK pricing, but the only way to try them is to buy them. This is not something I’m prepared to do.

I gather a fair number of universals can be converted to custom by third parties. I wonder whether I might be better off shopping for suitable universals and then getting them adapted.

I'm an old flat earther. I like "pace rhythm and timing" as the kids call it these days, musicality. I like an even tonal response with articulate deep bass and no surplus of mid-bass. I particularly like the four stings on a bass guitar to sound different in pitch from each other, not all four producing the same thud. I like dynamics, which I suspect isn't something IEMs do very well. I'm less worried about transparency, it's nice to have. I'm not bothered about sound-staging at all.

I agree that it's a pain, but it's way, waaay better than it used to be, since, as you already noted, there are an increasing number of 'universal' fit versions being offered by some vendors.

I mentioned similar, in another thread, recently: www.head-fi.org/t/827449/ciem-straight-to-totl-or-start-lower#post_13049654

If you have sufficient patience, have you considered attending CanJam UK, to listen to a wide variety of options, from various vendors? It's in London, so really convenient for you, geographically, if not date-wise.

I admit, it would be a pain having to wait until August 2017 (the actual date hasn't yet been announced, since 2016 event has only just gone by), but don't shoot the messenger - I'm only saying it's a possibility for you.

Dec 13, 2016 at 4:50 PM Post #3 of 4

I would be surprised if one of the Noble line up didn't suit your flavour. If tips are your thing their universals are very attractive and superbly constructed. To hear those and order customs, the lady to speak to is Gisele at Aid2Hearing in deepest North London. She deals with quite a few companies as well as Noble. She also does superb impressions. Not Tommy Cooper. Ear moulds. :wink:
:)
Another excellent company that I had outstanding service from is Handheld Audio in Enfield. They have UE and JHA among others with universal fit demo customs.
TBH listening to demos that may or may not have a perfect seal, for me, buying customs has always been a bit of a punt. Researching reviews gives a pretty good indication of what you are going to get.
Yes Canjam is an excellent opportunity to try and buy but the same caveats pertain. Other notable companies are 64 Ears with their Adel tech which sounds very interesting from what I have read and Empire Ears who I see have adopted the same technology. Personally I wouldn't bother with trying to convert universals to CIEM's. Either hedge your bets or bite the bullet! HTH.
Sorry tried to add spoiler tags and failed!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back