How do I choose a high quality stand-alone DAC?
Aug 4, 2008 at 9:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

DARKHAVEN

100+ Head-Fier
So I'm venturing into completely new territory. I decided I want to get a standalone DAC to use with my computer and whatever home amp I have at the time and need some help figuring this out. How do I compare standalone DACs, who makes good ones? Pretty much the Headroom Micro DAC is all I have experience with (I don't own it). I've also seen the Fubar II DAC, but I don't know of many others. Let's say $400ish is my range (could go higher if higher is SIGNIFICANTLY better, but lower is ideal. If a really good one could be had for less than $400, so much the better!). OK fellow head-fiers, school's in session and I'm ready to learn!

Aug 4, 2008 at 11:27 AM Post #2 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by DARKHAVEN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So I'm venturing into completely new territory. I decided I want to get a standalone DAC to use with my computer and whatever home amp I have at the time and need some help figuring this out. How do I compare standalone DACs, who makes good ones? Pretty much the Headroom Micro DAC is all I have experience with (I don't own it). I've also seen the Spitfire DAC and Fubar II DAC, how are those? Let's say $400ish is my range (could go higher if higher is SIGNIFICANTLY better, but lower is ideal. If a really good one could be had for less than $400, so much the better!). OK fellow head-fiers, school's in session and I'm ready to learn!

I've been investigating this for a few months. As far as I've been able to figure out, three things really contribute to the sound of a DAC:

1) Careful circuit design and layout, that keeps the digital and analog paths isolated.

2. Good analogue output design.

3) The DAC chip itself.

I put this one last because in most cases, I think it's the least important, oddly enough. Most people are using outboard DACs to play music from their computers that got there from Redbook cds. The files are 16 bit, and while they can be upsampled, that is dubious, and certainly not necessary. 16 bit DACs are a very mature technology, and while I'm sure there are some dogs out there, I think they are rarely being used. Any competent, mainstream DAC chip in a well-designed cirucuit with a good analog output section will sound good. As in all things audio, some will sound brighter, some warmer. That's in the output. You just have to listen.

As an example, I use a Trends UD-10 ($140, $18 for psu) that isn't even designed to be a DAC. It is a digital transport (changes USB to all other digital formats) with a simple 16-bit Burr Brown DAC thrown in. It doesn't even have RCA outs. I use a little mini-phono to RCA adaptor and good interconnects. But because it is designed as a transport, it has a very well designed, isolated circuit and a very uncolored output stage. The results are very good by any measure, stunning for the money.

Lots of price/performance leaders here:

Audiomagus - high end not high priced audio products

Tim

Aug 4, 2008 at 10:32 PM Post #3 of 4
For acoustic music and 4 man jazz bands I like Non-Oversampling DACs. Specifically you can buy a Lite Dac-Ah for under $200. Then I would look into getting it modded w/ the passive mods for about $20 in parts, or $35 w/ heat sinks in each of the 8 dac-chips. Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back