How do I check safe headphone volumes?
Apr 12, 2009 at 2:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Luncbox1

New Head-Fier
I just got new headphones and I've been blasting them all day because they're so awesome
darthsmile.gif

But if I keep doing that, I'm going to go deaf. However, I just don't enjoy music as much when it's low, because I can't hear all the different tonal characteristics

Is there some test I can do to determine what the loudest I should be listening to them is? Is there some test on the internet? Because I haven't found any so far in my searches...

Apr 12, 2009 at 2:22 AM Post #2 of 7
If you have a db meter:
find a shoe box and cut two holes in the sides
cut third hole for the db meter mic
set headphones to the level you are using them at, then place them on the box and see how load the scale reads.

If you don't have a db meter, but your can's are open, you should be able to hear a person close by you talking to you in at a normal conversation volume.

Apr 12, 2009 at 2:24 AM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acrog /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you have a db meter:
find a shoe box and cut two holes in the sides
cut third hole for the db meter mic
set headphones to the level you are using them at, then place them on the box and see how load the scale reads.

If you don't have a db meter, but your can's are open, you should be able to hear a person close by you talking to you in at a normal conversation volume.

Closed cans and no decible metre
tongue.gif

Apr 12, 2009 at 2:25 AM Post #4 of 7
If your ears hurt turn it down!
evil_smiley.gif

Apr 12, 2009 at 2:27 AM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG POPPA /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If your ears hurt turn it down!
evil_smiley.gif

But here's the thing-- I've listening to these things for hours upon hours today. When I take them off, I can hear perfectly fine, it doesn't sound like I'm underwater, and my ears aren't ringing in the least.

But when I put the headphones on, they sound like they're close to rock-concert levels.
confused_face_2.gif

So I'm not exhibiting any signs of temporary hearing damage, but my headphones sound so loud that I MUST be.

Apr 12, 2009 at 2:48 AM Post #7 of 7
I listen to stuff loud, ask the Seattle Head-fiers? If you think it is too loud it probably is!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back