How do I buy cheap NOS tubes?
Aug 24, 2020 at 1:00 PM Post #16 of 17
There's something called a Tube Vendor. Besides selling tubes, they've gone all around the country (and world), buying up tube stock in those warehouses you wish still existed. For some strange reason, they all think that to sell tubes, you have to have stock to sell. :wink:

...and a healthy profit margin :). They do add value in terms of customer service though.

This happened probably a decade (or two or three) ago.

Well, at least I did not even have a chance.

These days, they buy up stock consolidating those vendors who've gotten out of the business or have passed away. One that passed away recently was OrlandoTubes (also known as ESRC Tubes). I understand his stock (probably in the millions) will be tied up in probate for a while.

Only a handful of those millions tends to be e.g. useful double-triodes. Is there even a 20'000 NOS 6SN7 Sylvanias left in the world in total?

He was a really nice guy.

I think you have to be a nice person in this business for a long haul. Nevertheless, it's a shame!

I personally purchased several hundred, if not a thousand, tubes from him over the last 15 years.

Buying tubes is quite addictive :frowning2:. It's like a collecting hobby where items are actually useful. Though in your case you are building nice things as well - I am surprised you did not go into tens of thousand of tubes.

Aug 26, 2020 at 10:22 AM Post #17 of 17
Buying tubes is quite addictive :frowning2:. It's like a collecting hobby where items are actually useful. Though in your case you are building nice things as well - I am surprised you did not go into tens of thousand of tubes.
Thank you for the kind comment!
About how many tubes I've bought over the years ... let's just say that one vendor was not the only one I bought a thousand+ tubes from. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back