How do I balance 75ohm resistors for my earphone cable?
Jan 11, 2009 at 2:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

chiefroastbeef

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi guys,

I recently soldered a pair of 75 ohm resistors onto my Freqshow cable with a neutrik plug. However, the left side is slightly louder than my right, is this due to unbalanced resistors? My soldering is pretty decent, so I don't think it's due to a bad joint.

Should I just get a bunch of resistors, and test the ohm of the resistors, and pair the ones that have the closest values?

Thanks

Jan 11, 2009 at 5:09 PM Post #2 of 10
Is there a valid reason for this? resistors in the line of audio path == more distortion.......not to mention, why would you want to make your headphones less efficient?

Jan 11, 2009 at 5:10 PM Post #3 of 10
and its because you didnt match up resistors...resistors of the same specs are not identical....you need to use a voltmeter and match 2 identical.

Jan 11, 2009 at 5:43 PM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by fsma /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is there a valid reason for this? resistors in the line of audio path == more distortion.......not to mention, why would you want to make your headphones less efficient?

good call, resistors do have some distortions. Please compare the magnitude of the distortion of the worst resistor you have ever seen to the best A: speaker/headphone driver and B: amplifier.

it is done as a deliberate effort to reduce amplifier damping factor. For whatever reason, some headphones sound better with very low damping factors.

Jan 11, 2009 at 8:32 PM Post #5 of 10
then his problem is more than likely that he did match up his resistors. though I doubt he'd notice the at most 1% difference in volume level...

Unless he put a resistor on the left and right wires but not the ground?

Jan 11, 2009 at 8:56 PM Post #7 of 10
The problem, like others have said, is mismatched resistors. Buy a dozen or so high-quality, good tolerance (1% or less) resistors, then test them out and pick the two with the closest values. You may want to test them in an audio line first before doing the final install, to make sure the volume is equal.

Jan 12, 2009 at 3:01 AM Post #8 of 10
Thanks guys for the input! So I gotta use the voltmeter to determine the closest values?

Jan 12, 2009 at 6:23 AM Post #10 of 10
Thanks for that! I searched for "resistor balancing" on google and came up with nothing. I'm surprised I missed that article on tangent's site, I mopped that site up.

Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back