How do HF5s stack up against TF 10s? *Both Unamped*
Jan 4, 2012 at 6:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

MaxMusic

Head-Fier
Title says it all. I am looking for an alternative to the TF10s because they look too bulky and uncomfortable... but Its getting hard to justify setting them aside for the price. 

Also as a side note, I am a little worried about BOTH not having enough bass? Any recommendations for more bass heavy phones around $200 would be great too

Jan 4, 2012 at 6:49 PM Post #2 of 9
Etymotics (any) and TripleFi 10s are yin and yang...  Complete opposites. 

Jan 4, 2012 at 8:19 PM Post #4 of 9

Quote:
care to elaborate?

Sorry, I was in a rush at the time (was doing things so I couldn't elaborate).  I'll do that now.  Please note that the information I give about the TF10s is based on everything I've read on them (I don't own them, nor have I heard them).  The TF10s are said to have a really V-shaped signature, which in turn means recessed mids (some say it's veiled as well).  The Etymotics on the other hand have boosted mids as they are more clear, in your face, and detailed.  They tend to hold much more dynamics and energy as well.  The bass on the TF10 will stomp and flatten the already flattened, dry, bodyless Etymotic bass.  I haven't read too much on the TF10's treble though, so can't comment on that :p

Jan 4, 2012 at 9:06 PM Post #5 of 9
I own the TF10 and as tinyman said, they are very different IEMs. The hf5 are analytical, which means they produce a very detailed sound without adding any "color" to it. For this reason, you don't feel the bass with them and the hf5's bass will probably seem boring compared to the TF10's bass. The TF10s have a slightly V-shaped sound, so the mids aren't as forward as with the hf5. If you're looking for bass heavy IEMs, don't get the hf5 as they're the opposite of bass heavy IEMs. 

For the TF10s, I definitely recommend them if you have pretty large ear canals. I use mine with sony hybrids tips, and I easily get a comfy and good seal. They are very detailed, while having an energetic sound because of the bass/treble combo. Unless you're a basshead, you'll be satisfied with the TF10's bass. 

Overall both are very good IEMs, the decision is up to you depending on which type of sound you're looking for. 

Jan 5, 2012 at 1:26 AM Post #6 of 9
HF5s are very bass light. Otherwise they seemed pretty good to me, though I prefer my TF10. Triple Flanges with the Etys are also uncomfortable for me, though it is really noise isolating

Jan 5, 2012 at 9:10 AM Post #7 of 9
HF5 is definitely thinner sounding but more accurate.  On the lighter side but very pleasent, nicely extended, great clarity.  If you are not a basshead they would be an excellent choice.  Also very cool looking and great fitting.

TF10 is more colorful and exciting.  Bass and treble nicely extended but I find midrange a little hazy/veiled (some say recessed).  Very dynamic....nice big sound.  As mentioned, fit is a problem for many.  The bore is just too thick and needs to extend to deep and becomes uncomfortable quickly.  As long as not listening for long periods it may not be a problem.  A deal at $200 for the sound IMHO.

If given the choice I would personally take TF10, mainly because I can deal with the fit.

Jan 5, 2012 at 10:04 AM Post #8 of 9
The Etymotic HF5 offers clean extended highs with great midrange details and bass amount is good enough because deep insertion. UETF10Pro are bassy with wide soundstage but not detailed and extended as HF5 in mids, highs. I will recommend the IEMs like JVC FXT90, Sony EX600, EX7550, MTP Copper, Sennheiser IE7, IE8 and they offers deep dynamic punchy bass and wide soundstage with overall detailed soundquality .

Jan 5, 2012 at 3:49 PM Post #9 of 9
I'm probably just going to repeat what most here are saying.  Both phones have good sound, but different signatures. The TF10s are a bit more boosted on the low end, but I don't find the treble boosted. I find my HF5s to have more treble energy than the TF10s. The HF5s are definitely more coherent sounding with a smoother response, but do lack low end volume. The good news is both phones eq extremely well, and I find with either some good eq or with a ZO, the HF5s can sound magnificent...besting the TF10s in overall clarity, balance and detail.  On a side note, the HF5s can get uncomfortable as they are very deep insertion, but the TF10s are huge and difficult to get a good seal.  For that reason I had the TF10s put in a custom earpiece which makes them way more comfy. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back