How do headphones work with only one side wired?
Mar 6, 2022 at 7:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

unuselessness

New Head-Fier
I have several headphones that are wired. Some of them have a y-split and goes to both cups, so I get that they are both getting the signal and both side play. But I have some Philips Fildeos X2HR’s that the 3.5mm connects to the left cup only. I just assumed it had wires running through the headband to connect to the right cup, but it doesn’t. Is there a blue tooth transmitter in there or something? I just don’t get it. Please help me understand.

Mar 6, 2022 at 7:49 PM Post #2 of 8
There’s definitely wires in the chassis somewhere.

For wired headphones, each headphone cup needs 2 wires attached to it; a positive and ground for music to travel through it.

Some headphones with single entry cables (3.5mm TRS, 2.5mm TRS, mini 3 pin XLR, etc), use only 3 wires at the connection point and in the cable, since the ground is shared and wired between both sides internally.

Hope this helps!

Mar 6, 2022 at 7:49 PM Post #3 of 8
It does have wires running threw the headband, it's just not visible to your eyes.

Mar 6, 2022 at 8:11 PM Post #4 of 8
There’s definitely wires in the chassis somewhere.

For wired headphones, each headphone cup needs 2 wires attached to it; a positive and ground for music to travel through it.

Some headphones with single entry cables (3.5mm TRS, 2.5mm TRS, mini 3 pin XLR, etc), use only 3 wires at the connection point and in the cable, since the ground is shared and wired between both sides internally.

Hope this helps!
I went and grabbed a flash light, and lo and behold there is a wire running through one of the metal rods that hold the suspension band and is attached to the cup holders. Thanks. They did a great job hiding them coming out of the left cup through a screw and to the other side. Thanks.

Mar 6, 2022 at 10:41 PM Post #6 of 8
I have several headphones that are wired. Some of them have a y-split and goes to both cups, so I get that they are both getting the signal and both side play. But I have some Philips Fildeos X2HR’s that the 3.5mm connects to the left cup only. I just assumed it had wires running through the headband to connect to the right cup, but it doesn’t. Is there a blue tooth transmitter in there or something? I just don’t get it. Please help me understand.
Internal cabling.

Mar 7, 2022 at 1:54 AM Post #7 of 8

They hide the wire, unlike with some Beyers for example. AKG hides them in the flexible plastic frame - kind of like Buell putting the fuel inside the bike frame.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back