How do Grados sound with rock compared to HD580/600.
Mar 19, 2004 at 10:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

marios_mar

Headphoneus Supremus
Can someone try and describe that with words. What are the headphone differences in sound? Senn has already deep and tight and strong bass (and the famous midbass hump). Well how are the grados?

Mar 19, 2004 at 10:46 PM Post #3 of 18
Fast bass with good clarity and definition, great "slam" effect, everythings sound "faster". Much more in your face and intimate, not much of a soundstage at all, with very little sound imaging (which improves when you move to higher end, such as the RS's and HP's).

Mar 19, 2004 at 10:54 PM Post #4 of 18
Quote:

not enough punch for rock... no air-guitaring... (fantastic cans otherwise!)

How come I think that they have planty of punch and slam?

The Grados must be really roccking your brains out I guess.

What is air guitaring?

The Senn HD600 has a small soundstage (at least when I compare it to my Stax)

Is there a headphone with great characteristics for rock as well as soundstage?

Thanks guys.

Any more comparisons?

Mar 19, 2004 at 11:04 PM Post #6 of 18
RS-1's good, but its soundstage is still smaller than HD600, imo..

CD3000 is great, but the Sony sound signature is more about balance than a specific genre enhancement... so it's a great rock phone, but it's just an all-around great performer anyway.

Mar 19, 2004 at 11:25 PM Post #7 of 18
well I dont understand why a phone that represents the truth cannot be fun. Rock records are produced to be fun to begin with. Do Grados give "extra fun" ?
biggrin.gif

Mar 19, 2004 at 11:37 PM Post #9 of 18
My HP-1000 are great for rock. I was listening to my Nirvana - Greatest Hits album, and air-guitaring like crazy. The sound was amazing. Kurt was in front of me and we were playing together
biggrin.gif
Great soundstaging, impact, and "texture" in the sound. I find them superior to the HD650 setup I sold.

Trevor

Mar 19, 2004 at 11:52 PM Post #10 of 18
I heard the new Sennheiser series hd555 is wide soundstage, (made for that in mind) but many say its upfront at the same time. Much like being in the FRONT of a large orchestra
I think these are my breed of phones, at the top of my list

Mar 20, 2004 at 12:36 AM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by marios_mar
Is there a headphone with great characteristics for rock as well as soundstage?

I think you already know what I'm going to recommend
k1000smile.gif

Sennheiser has powerful bass but I don't think it's as punchy as the Grados. It's midbass hump also masks things somewhat and to me it doesn't make the bass articulate enough. If I were to get a Senn, it would be the HD650. It's tonal balance seems relatively flatter compared to it's older brothers.

I believe the K1000 is a better rock phone because it's just more detailed and the tonal balance has more top end energy. That's great for percussions and guitars. Although I can still hear those things on Senn or Grado, it doesn't seem to have the presense in the same amount. Unfortunately system matching is key because this is a double edged sword. The treble can be a bit too much for most people if your system is lacking with non smooth source, smearing interconnects, lack of power conditioning, and a weak amp will make things two dimensional. Some people find the bass lacking. I find it's there but it's not really jumping out at you as it's well integrated. This is too much for most people so I don't usually recommend this headphone.

Mar 20, 2004 at 12:37 AM Post #12 of 18
Grados are like being on stage with the band. Senn is like sitting in the audience with the band layed out before you.

Grados make you part of the excitement. Senns let you sit back and watch the excitement.

Grados give me happy feet.

Mitch

Mar 20, 2004 at 2:57 AM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by marios_mar
Do Grados give "extra fun" ?
biggrin.gif

Yeah, like having front row center seats gives you "extra fun"!!

Mar 20, 2004 at 3:06 AM Post #14 of 18
Depending on amplifer usually much, much better. Rock guitars need to scream and they scream much louder with Grados!

Mar 20, 2004 at 6:21 AM Post #15 of 18
I remember a post a while ago stating that senns place all the sound in front of you like you were watching them from the audience. Grados place the vocals in front and other instruments to the sides so it feels like you are on the stage with them.

Or something like that as I am no expert.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back