How do ear/headphones provide and reproduce detail? More in the desc.
Mar 12, 2014 at 12:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Deeman

New Head-Fier
What im really asking is, How do some in-ear/Over-ear monitors give out the kind of detail it does? How come other headphones cant do the same? 

There are headphones that are in the same price range lets say, and one of them has a lot of bass, and the other has crazy detail. What is it about headphones that make it this way? How come you have to give up some here, to gain somewhere else?

Just throwing it out there, but is it because that when you have tuned a driver to prioritize reproducing more bass, it loses the ability to reproduce the other parts of the spectrum more properly? and if this logic holds water, then could the same be said about detail retrieval and reproduction? If i equalize a darker signature to make it brighter, can i add detail to its music reproduction?

I hope i've phrased my questions properly so that you guys can get it. But if all else fails to explain, I'll ask it simply. How come headphones that can reproduce detail to a great degree, lack in the bass department? Speaking broadly for Ety (brand used only as an example) users here. I personally have a preference to brighter signatures.

i really hope...people can understand my question...really. Even to me a lot of this sounds almost gibberish-ish... :\

Mar 12, 2014 at 2:28 PM Post #2 of 3
 Just throwing it out there, but is it because that when you have tuned a driver to prioritize reproducing more bass, it loses the ability to reproduce the other parts of the spectrum more properly? and if this logic holds water, then could the same be said about detail retrieval and reproduction? If i equalize a darker signature to make it brighter, can i add detail to its music reproduction?

I don't think that's the case.
Many high end headphones have an essentially dark signature, yet they're extremely detailed.
Frequency response can give you a certain perception of the detail, but the detail itself is not a function of the frequency response.

Detail retrieval is to a point an inherent quality of the driver unit itself. Depends on how well it's been designed, to what tolerances it was built, if it's free of distortion, resonances and so on.
Moreover it will take more than just good drivers to make a good headphone. Designing the acoustics of the driver baffle and the cups themselves so that they are fine tuned for that specific unit is just important, in my view.
Resonances in the assembly can smear out a lot of detail and/or alter the tonality of a headphone.

In short, what I want to get across is that it takes many things to work together in order to get a detailed headphone.

Mar 13, 2014 at 2:47 AM Post #3 of 3

Frequency response can give you a certain perception of the detail, but the detail itself is not a function of the frequency response.

oh okay interesting. I always thought the opposite. Its no wonder then that some IEM companies can use the same drivers, but the end result can sound different. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back