How do cheap IEM's compare to expensive ones?
Apr 18, 2013 at 9:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

izver

New Head-Fier
So, I've just ordered the senn IE80's from amazon for 220€. But now I've had a conversation and the guy i was talking with claimed that with IEM's anything up from 100€ will have only slight differences. I'm not an audiphile. But I do appreciate good sound. So my question is, do a pair of 80€ IEM's like for example FXT90's sound almost identical to the premium IE80? Yes I know that the IE80 will have better sound fidelity, but like I said I'm not all that concerned about that. I'm asking more about loudness and bass.

Is there actually an IEM that could match beats by dre pro in terms of bass and loudness?

Apr 18, 2013 at 9:27 PM Post #3 of 25
Quote:
You'll be surprised. Dr dre is garbage..

So I take it that the IE80's will sound as powerful as the beats. And I understand that everyone hate on beats, but the thing is, where I live I could only get my hands on the beats to demo. So they are my reference. 

But from a purely objective point of view, is shelling out 200€ for IE80 instead of some other ~ 100€ IEM's worth it for a inexperienced listener? Because I can still cancel the amazon purchase. I have browsed and researched lot, but that person's statement that with the small monitors of the in ears the gains are minute makes good sense, so now I'm in doubt.

Apr 18, 2013 at 9:30 PM Post #4 of 25
If you don't care about sound quality and just want bass and loudness than look into the Munitio Billets. It's nothing but bass and loudness.

You have to evolve past the Beats by Dre phase to appreciate different sound signatures.

Apr 18, 2013 at 9:44 PM Post #5 of 25
You will love the bass on the IE80's and as an extra added bonus, everything else will sound great as well - The bullets mentioned above are not in the same class - you would be able to tell rather easily that they don't measure up. IMO.

Apr 18, 2013 at 10:41 PM Post #6 of 25
Quote:
You will love the bass on the IE80's and as an extra added bonus, everything else will sound great as well - The bullets mentioned above are not in the same class - you would be able to tell rather easily that they don't measure up. IMO.

Who said they're in the same class??

Apr 18, 2013 at 11:26 PM Post #7 of 25
IE80's were once considered a top tier iem, now they are barely a blip on the rader.  But if you must have bass....IE80's are good for you.  

"good sound" is subjective.  What one considers good can be someone else's garbage.  If you want to seem like you're in the club... Beats will do just fine for you.  As long as YOU think they sound good.... everyone elses opinion dont matter.  

Someone with stock apple earbuds could be just as happy as I am with my JH13's.  

Apr 18, 2013 at 11:28 PM Post #8 of 25
You wont regret.. Coincidentally I returned immediately my Beats and bought IE80. Never looked back. And dont forget to buy an amp to improve sound experience. You can start with Fiio E11 which is cheap and very good

Apr 19, 2013 at 7:01 AM Post #11 of 25
It will depend a lot on your source too. You might find low bitrate mp3 files from a bad player will sound worse with high end IEMs than with muddier sets such as Beats, because they'll bring out all the detail, and with that all the flaws, out into the open.

Apr 19, 2013 at 7:26 AM Post #12 of 25
Quote:
So, I've just ordered the senn IE80's from amazon for 220€. But now I've had a conversation and the guy i was talking with claimed that with IEM's anything up from 100€ will have only slight differences. I'm not an audiphile. But I do appreciate good sound. So my question is, do a pair of 80€ IEM's like for example FXT90's sound almost identical to the premium IE80? Yes I know that the IE80 will have better sound fidelity, but like I said I'm not all that concerned about that. I'm asking more about loudness and bass.

Is there actually an IEM that could match beats by dre pro in terms of bass and loudness?

As I mentioned on the other thread, I don't think the FXT90 has less fidelity than the IE80. As I also mentioned in the other thread, I think -puts flamesuit on- Sennheiser products generally are a little bit too expensive for the sound they offer.

Obviously, both of them have different sound signatures, but if you're going the listen to metal, I think the FXT90 are more suitable for that.

Apr 19, 2013 at 1:50 PM Post #13 of 25
Quote:
IE80's were once considered a top tier iem, now they are barely a blip on the rader.  But if you must have bass....IE80's are good for you.  

"good sound" is subjective.  What one considers good can be someone else's garbage.  If you want to seem like you're in the club... Beats will do just fine for you.  As long as YOU think they sound good.... everyone elses opinion dont matter.  

Someone with stock apple earbuds could be just as happy as I am with my JH13's.  

I actually didn't get u... IE80 were once considered a top tier IEM?? why not now? does is it even make sense?  And from what I can hear I say it is Top Tier.You can put it side by side with UE900's , Westone 4's and even with Er4's, its all about  how different the presentations are.. not the details.. there are  times I throw my W4's and my ER4's aside and hugs the IE80's (moded) . So I would say Get a Hi sound player (roco's) and tape them, ur in for a treat OP  
etysmile.gif

Apr 19, 2013 at 2:04 PM Post #14 of 25
Quote:
But from a purely objective point of view, is shelling out 200€ for IE80 instead of some other ~ 100€ IEM's worth it for a inexperienced listener? Because I can still cancel the amazon purchase.

Save the money and cancel the order.
I don't have my IE80 anymore, but the 100€ Philips Fidelio S1 sound much better than the 200€ IE8.
There are just so many good IEM's below 150€ that the IE80 don't have a chance anymore.

Apr 19, 2013 at 5:03 PM Post #15 of 25
Quote:
I actually didn't get u... IE80 were once considered a top tier IEM?? why not now? does is it even make sense?  And from what I can hear I say it is Top Tier.You can put it side by side with UE900's , Westone 4's and even with Er4's, its all about  how different the presentations are.. not the details.. there are  times I throw my W4's and my ER4's aside and hugs the IE80's (moded) . So I would say Get a Hi sound player (roco's) and tape them, ur in for a treat OP  
etysmile.gif

Top tier as in.... part of the select 10 or so that were considered the best.  Not saying its not good, because it is but how many times have you heard a recommendation for IE80 over GR07's in the past year?  Rarely.... There has been this huge surge in different IEMS from MANY companies that old top dogs (MTPC, IE80, Tripfi 10's etc etc) aren't clearly the best of the best anymore.  That's expected but to pay 200 pounds for IE80's just doesn't seem logical.  

There were a lot less companies just a few years ago.  Big players were Sennheiser, Monster, UE, Westone a few others.  Now there is Brainwavz, Fischer, Vsonic, Final Audio, and lots more.  

Trust me...I still think MTPC's are one of the best dynamic iems, but its rarely mentioned now.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back