How do cars work in the cold?
Dec 7, 2009 at 11:47 PM Post #31 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sduibek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is this true even if, say, you switch to Full Synthetic in an engine that's already done 100,000+ miles using Conventional?

Yes. You can convert at any time. It really depends on how much you care about your car. Some people just don't see the benefit of running synthetic oil in a car which they feel is about to hit the scrap heap or that they just don't care if it dies any time soon. Synthetic oil has a signficant cost over conventional dino oil. Many people go halfway and use a mixture of synthetic and conventional oil which is perfectly fine as both oils are compatible with each other. Doing it this way lowers the cost of each oil change while gaining some of the benefits of running synthetic.

Also, keep in mind, not all synthetics are created equal. The main difference centers around the base stock used to create the oil. The base stock is defined in groups from I to V. The higher the base stock group number, the better the oil is. Amsoil is a group IV oil and is what I currently use in my Ducati. Castrol Syntec on the other hand is a group III oil. The difference is the purity of the base stock. Group III base stocks are still derived from mineral oil but is subjected to very high levels of refining. Group IV base stocks are 100% chemically engineered. You are paying for the difference in quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back