How do-able is this?
Mar 22, 2002 at 2:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

insanefred

100+ Head-Fier
OK, I had a little thought last night... would it be possible to mount some sort of position-sensors on headphones (in 2 or 3dimensions) and link it to a sort of widget-doo-dah-box thingy which could adjust phase and all sorts of other magical things, so that as you moved your head, or moved around, your apparent position in the soundstage would change?
Well, I think it's a good idea... sorry if it's been done already.
Andrew

Mar 24, 2002 at 1:51 PM Post #2 of 5
The British mag Electronics World had a project like this a couple of years back using accelerometers for motion detection. I'll dig through my archives tomorrow and see if I can find it.

I'm not sure how successful it was sonically.

Mar 28, 2002 at 4:42 PM Post #4 of 5
I think the military uses this sort of system in their high performance jets and bombers. Crossfeed and other spatializing effects mean that when you hear someone on radio, you hear them coming from their actual direction. Another plane off to your left, will sound like its coming from the left. a plane out in front will sound like its coming from in front. But as you turn your head, it recalculates everything, meaning everything still sounds like its coming from the right direction.

Also, they measure the resonanat properties of your head, and when you get in the plane, the load up your personal head profile, which is used to help calculate the necessary crossfeed settings.

Sweet huh? Don't YOU wish you had a bloated budget??
smily_headphones1.gif

peace,
phidauex

Users who are viewing this thread

Back