How difficult is it to build a dynahi?
Dec 6, 2004 at 12:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

dallasstar

100+ Head-Fier
Hi. I'm really good at gathering information and following directions etc. I have some minor experience w/ saudering irons etc, and I have already completed the calculus based electricity and magnetism course in my highschool (and subsequently recieved an A in university for the same course).

I'm just wondering... is it at ALL possible for someone who has never built a headphone amplifier before to build a dynahi, given the above? I know it sounds far fetched, but I really don't want to waste money building a cmoy or PPA. I just want the best right off the bat. I just want to check if this is completely ridiculous to even think about so that I don't waste money. I might be getting a few hundred dollars within a week, so I have to decide if I want to buy a Gilmore Lite or if I want to build a Dynahi.... (or buy HD650). I do believe that I would enjoy a project of this kind, if that means anything.

Is there a specific page that someone could link me to to get me started?

Thanks...

Dec 6, 2004 at 12:52 AM Post #2 of 11
Anything's possible. The dynahi amp board is not that much more complicated to build the the original Gilmore Dynamic design posted on headwize.com. I couple of things make it more work. Sorting transistors to get the performance is extra work than other smaller projects. Also making all the aluminum parts by hand is time consuming an requires a few tools to do right. The case will be more expensive. Unless you have very fine source equipment and very nice phone, you might not hear the performance.

Think carefully about where you spend your money. Buying better phones is usually always the way to go in the early stages.

Dec 6, 2004 at 2:31 AM Post #3 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by dallasstar
is it at ALL possible for someone who has never built a headphone amplifier before to build a dynahi

Do you have the skillz to troubleshoot it when it doesn't work?

It takes more then knowing how to solder to build a working amp.
wink.gif

Check out rsaavedra's thread to get a good idea what you are in for.

Dec 6, 2004 at 3:08 AM Post #4 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by MisterX

I think thats it there. Its easy peasy to solder a load of components onto a board but to work out what you have done wrong is tricky. Sorry it doesn't really help your original Q (but I would go for it if I was you
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Dec 6, 2004 at 4:11 AM Post #5 of 11
I highly recommend NOT building the Dynahi right now. Experienced builders are having trouble with grounding, hum etc. etc. and it is certainly NOT a beginner project. I would even say that the PPA is not advisable at this point of time.

Dont waste money, time in something that has a high probability of ending in frustration.

Dec 6, 2004 at 4:29 AM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
I highly recommend NOT building the Dynahi right now. Experienced builders are having trouble with grounding, hum etc. etc. and it is certainly NOT a beginner project. I would even say that the PPA is not advisable at this point of time.

Dont waste money, time in something that has a high probability of ending in frustration.

Try a PIMETA first. =P They are easy to make, sound rather nice with the proper components and aren't much of a financial loss if you fry one.

You can't ever go from nothing to the best. You won't really appreciate the best if you do. Also, I don't recommend doing DIY to save money; I only recommend it because it's fun!

Dec 6, 2004 at 4:52 AM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by MisterX

It takes more then knowing how to solder to build a working amp.
wink.gif

Check out rsaavedra's thread to get a good idea what you are in for.

MisterX is totally right. I use to be one that said building a Dynahi was easy, even a newbie like me could do it. Well, getting 80% of it is relatively easy, e.g. ordering everything and populating the boards. The last 20% is not easy: putting everything together, establish proper grounding, go through necessary and unexpected troubleshooting, whatever is needed till achieving a black background, really hum-free amp. Not easy at all.

Actually I should probably revise those percentages. DC-offset adjustment, transistor matching (which I haven't even done yet), troubleshooting, putting everything together, and achieve hum-free quality, that part has been for me the difficult 80% part.

Dec 6, 2004 at 5:01 AM Post #8 of 11
The paint-by-numbers part is easy. It's the matching, biasing, troubleshooting and grounding that may pose significant issues. It is my feeling that many of those ordering boards have taken on more than they may realize. Of course there are those that have successfully built the Dynahi amplifier that may assist in troubleshooting. The Dynahi is an amazing amplifier when built correctly.

Dec 6, 2004 at 5:37 AM Post #9 of 11
im one of those fairly new to amp building thats ordered some boards. however you guys can relax. im either going to build it in the future and have the boards gathering dust for a while, or i'm going to do it slowly. its a pricey amp. not one id want to invest $400 in to building and not have work........

Dec 6, 2004 at 5:45 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by dallasstar
Hi. I'm really good at gathering information and following directions etc. I have some minor experience w/ saudering irons etc, and I have already completed the calculus based electricity and magnetism course in my highschool (and subsequently recieved an A in university for the same course).

I'm just wondering... is it at ALL possible for someone who has never built a headphone amplifier before to build a dynahi, given the above? I know it sounds far fetched, but I really don't want to waste money building a cmoy or PPA. I just want the best right off the bat. I just want to check if this is completely ridiculous to even think about so that I don't waste money. I might be getting a few hundred dollars within a week, so I have to decide if I want to buy a Gilmore Lite or if I want to build a Dynahi.... (or buy HD650). I do believe that I would enjoy a project of this kind, if that means anything.

Is there a specific page that someone could link me to to get me started?

Thanks...

i have a dynahi (built by trevornetwork) and i can tell you that troubleshooting can get real nasty. it took me an evening to troubleshoot and fix all the problems when i first got my amp.
The good thing is the dynahi can be customized nicely. i am going to ask trevor to build me a PSU later on with expensive V-caps and furutech accessories.

Dec 6, 2004 at 5:49 AM Post #11 of 11
The Dynahi sustained light damage by the gorillas at USPS. I have since changed the internal structure, and I feel it is nearly immune to shipping damage. Barring ridiculous handling!
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back