how difficult is DIYMod?
Mar 21, 2008 at 4:48 PM Post #2 of 8
That, of course, depends on what you mean by "basic soldering skills."
biggrin.gif
There is a pretty strong disclaimer on the original page of the diyMod thread against performing the mod if you don't have confidence in your own skills. If you can do the mod, you know it. Then there are the lucky few who can pull it off despite their soldering skills. Those SMD parts are really tiny.

Mar 21, 2008 at 4:55 PM Post #3 of 8
It's very, very nerve-wracking working on SMD components that small. I've done some similar work on a broken laptop and it was not pleasant or fun, in addition to being extremely time consuming. And this was on a laptop that was already broken. I wouldn't even want to try on something that still worked.

Mar 21, 2008 at 6:15 PM Post #4 of 8
There's a do it yourself iMod thread???? I'm so there. I hope the guys at RWA don't mind!

Mar 21, 2008 at 8:44 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by phkd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There's a do it yourself iMod thread???? I'm so there. I hope the guys at RWA don't mind!

I doubt it as it is very different IIRC. So they are not stealing the method, just the idea.

I am amazed anyway that no one has ripped one apart and done the same thing to a new/upgraded ipod when they get a new one. Probably because his CS and repairs service is good, and iirc, free.

Also, its DIYMod, not DIY iMod, so i guess less so, as its not like the diyers are stealing the iMod name either.

There is a disclaimer on that on the thread too, 1st page.

Mar 23, 2008 at 5:46 AM Post #7 of 8
Unless you have the proper equipment for fine scale SM work, or very skilled, you have to be very careful with with surface mounted components. Wires, caps, resistors are doable, but don't touch ICs.

Disclaimer: I have an electronic assembler certificate, though I haven't work as such lately.

Mar 23, 2008 at 7:30 PM Post #8 of 8

Users who are viewing this thread

Back