How different between squeezebox and transporter?
Jun 26, 2008 at 3:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

lekhakul

New Head-Fier
As the trend of Music server, I'll get one of these (SB or Transporter) for feeding digital data to my Benchmark DAC1. Are there any difference in Sound?

Jun 26, 2008 at 2:26 PM Post #2 of 9
If you getting one as a transport feeding a DAC1, I would suggest getting a SB. It's just not practical getting the Transporter if that's all you'll be using it for.

Jun 26, 2008 at 5:02 PM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by lekhakul /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As the trend of Music server, I'll get one of these (SB or Transporter) for feeding digital data to my Benchmark DAC1. Are there any difference in Sound?

Well if you're going to use either as a digital transport only, it won't make a difference which you use since the Benchmark DAC1 would be doing the D/A conversion.

On the other hand, the Squeezebox uses the TI PCM1748 DAC and the Transporter uses the AKM AK4396 DAC. The AKM DAC is slightly higher-spec than the TI, including its 24/192 upsampling (compared to the TI's 24/96 upsampling) and probably gives better sound as a result. So it would probably be a good idea to let the Transporter be your transport and DAC if you decided to go with it.

Jun 26, 2008 at 6:10 PM Post #5 of 9
Just to be redundant: if you are set on using the Benchmark for DAC, there's no real advantage to using the Transporter... save yourself the $. The only thing that might happen is that they might implement true 88.2 rez files for support first for the Transporter, maybe through some firmware. But for general usage, no need to use the Transorter.

Jun 27, 2008 at 11:15 AM Post #6 of 9
I have both. The Transporter will give you two nice displays, full-width size, nicer build quality, ability to play 24/96 files, and a full-featured standalone DAC that compares to the DAC1 (which I have also owned).

Jun 27, 2008 at 2:22 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by gregeas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have both. The Transporter will give you two nice displays, full-width size, nicer build quality, ability to play 24/96 files, and a full-featured standalone DAC that compares to the DAC1 (which I have also owned).

Thank you for every comments.

gregeas : transporter and DAC1 which one sound better?
redface.gif

Jun 28, 2008 at 3:38 AM Post #9 of 9
You may choose to use a computer as the transport. I was thinking to buy SB3 but decided to build a home theater PC for watching movies. The machine has an S/PDIF output for feeding my OMZ DAC.

Music also sounds fantastic !! I have a feeling that it is better than using a DVD player as the transport. Windows Media Player 11 can convert CDs to lossless files. I no longer need to insert CDs any more !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back