How did your ipod or HDD player die? How old was it?
Oct 9, 2006 at 8:11 AM Post #16 of 27
My 4G was about two years old, and the HDD died. I can't put it down to anything in particular, but on the other hand I hardly babied it...

Gimme a large capacity flash DAP, man!

Oct 9, 2006 at 11:36 AM Post #17 of 27
My 3rd gen ipod is still working after 2 years 1/2. I just replaced the battery last month, it works as if it was new now.

Looks like 3rd gen ipods are very durable!

Oct 9, 2006 at 12:01 PM Post #18 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Geoff Rymer
Gimme a large capacity flash DAP, man!

Me. too.

My refurbished Iriver IHP 120 died after less than 4 months, just a few days after the 3 months warranty had expired, and I've really babied it.
A few friends had to suffer from DAPs dying after less than 18 months.
Seems to be a immature and therefor extremely expensive technology.
I won't invest into a portable player again until a rock solid high capacity flash player hits the market.

Oct 9, 2006 at 5:48 PM Post #19 of 27
My iPod has been fine, and I don't anticipate any problems because I treat it very well. My sister's boyfriend's original 4G iPod started going wonky a few months before the warranty ended. We kept telling him to have it fixed, and he kept telling us there was plenty of time. Eventually I made him give me the serial number to check the warranty status online, and it had expired something like the day before.

I'm pretty sure his problem was hard drive-related, but it was hardly surprising considering how much it got trashed when he used it. It's actually sitting on the desk beside me right now, and for all intents and purposes is working perfectly after being left to sit for a few months. I'd actually prefer if the damn thing obviously didn't work, because I was going to claim it on the Visa extended warranty whenever I could extract the original invoice from Apple (do you know how hard it is to get an invoice that old?!).

Oct 10, 2006 at 1:55 AM Post #21 of 27
Mine just died a few months after the warranty ran up... 4th Gen iPod, 20gb.

The guy at the Apple store said it would cost me $270 to fix. I paid less than that for it new with my student discount!

I asked him how he could stomach working for a company that makes a product that breaks after a year and a half of careful use, and then won't charge a decent fee when fixing it.*

*ok...I said this in my head

Then I went and got a taco.

Oct 13, 2006 at 2:23 PM Post #23 of 27
Player 1: Creative Zen Xtra-- Succumbed to the infamous Creative Labs headphone jack problem after ~2 months. Replaced under warranty.

Player 2: Replacement Zen Xtra-- HDD failed within a few months. Fixed HDD myself, then headphone jack went out a few months later. Threw it in the trash and swore off Creative products.

Player 3: 5g Ipod video-60GB--3 months so far without any problems, very pleased with it. (fingers crossed).

Oct 15, 2006 at 1:36 AM Post #24 of 27
Accidently dropped my Creative Zen Micro in a sink full of water!! I immediately pulled it out , removed the the battery and shook it to remove some water which entered it. I just left it to dry even though I was pretty certain that it was dead for sure. To my surprise after a couple of days of drying I tried it out and it worked!!! It's been 6 months since that happened and I have no problems with it at all!! Am I lucky or am I lucky!!
biggrin.gif

Oct 15, 2006 at 1:44 AM Post #25 of 27
knik says:
Quote:

Accidently dropped my Creative Zen Micro in a sink full of water!! ... I tried it out and it worked!!!

Good Work!

I wonder how many Shuffles went into the washing machine.

Oct 15, 2006 at 3:20 AM Post #27 of 27
My 60gb photo died about 1 month after the warrantee expired. A $400 piece of equipment should last longer than 13 months. I'll never buy another ipod, and I'll never buy another hard drive based dap. I think I'm going to try a Sandisk Sansa e280.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back