How did you guys explain this hobby?
May 13, 2007 at 9:50 PM Post #31 of 48
im to the point where i just tell people, "i like to hear everything in the music."

the only thing people notice when i demo them my 750's is how they go to such high volume and still maintain their quality. i cant get them to understand how the soundstage really effects the listening experience, because they just dont know what to listen for, or... dont care to listen for it... either way ive given up, i keep my cans to myself unless someone else shows great interest first, wich has happened a bit often, especially at Gaming events because i always game with my headphones on. the sound resolution helps me to prepare for approaching enemies at rather long distances. and after a few matches i tend to geta bunch of gamers interested. other than that, people dont care about their ability to hear.

May 13, 2007 at 9:57 PM Post #32 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinp6301 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm so lucky my parents (Korean) are approving of my hobby!

Just a suggestion but maybe, your parents could adoopt rockbottom,

just a thought
wink.gif

May 13, 2007 at 10:03 PM Post #33 of 48
I thought my parents were unusually coopertaive when they offered to pay for my HD555 (my first proper headphone), but now that I've got that, they think thats the end of it - they say I've got the best and what more could I need?

A decent pair of IEM's thats what. They think that it is just fine to use nice HD555's at home and use rubbish iBuds everywhere else. When I tell them how uncomfortable iBuds are, how bad they sound and how they keep falling out, they simply say that everyone else on the street seems to be using them just fine, so why cant I??!! Or they ask me to go and get those $15 earphones that you can buy everywhere even thought they probably sound worse than iBuds.

Don't get me wrong, my parents are great and what I like about them is that when they do buy something, they will always buy the best. Getting them to buy it is the hard part. I guess its fairly reasonable that they think its outrageous to pay $100 for a tiny pair of earphones (still only a basic IEM). They have no idea about the likes of the E500 or UE-10
tongue.gif

Its all fair enough though. Really, if I want these sort of things, I should work, earn money and buy for myself...which is what I plan to do.

May 13, 2007 at 10:08 PM Post #34 of 48
ive also had my dad screaming in my face a couple of times, like when i baught this sony receiver and then ordered my studio monitors online... he was screaming about 6 inches from my face, i remember being worried about him getting saliva on my ultrasones D:

but yeah, my dads the kind of guy who'd flip a ****, and come apoligize later, and he does like my setup, we've had the entire family in my room watching movies at times.

May 13, 2007 at 10:08 PM Post #35 of 48
I have Chinese parents too. My father actually had an audio hobby before I was born, so he is pretty cool about it...
My mom's major concern is that whether I would hurt my ear or not by using the headphones
Which off course .... not ^_^

by now I am studying in college, basically paying my living/expenses with my own money from loan, previous saving, grants.
So they really doesn't care any more as long as I am still alive

May 13, 2007 at 10:11 PM Post #36 of 48
Well, something unexpected happened. My mom usually takes long walks, and she was sick of her iBuds, so I lent her my E3C's and now she suddenly has a lot more appreciation for them. She still thinks they're expensive, but she now understood why I spent a fair amount on them.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 13, 2007 at 11:16 PM Post #37 of 48
Fortunately my dad owns a home and car audio company so my hobby is completely understood. (Although he frowns on what he assumes are extreme markups by manufacturers.) I've even convinced him to look into manufacturing canalphones/iems.

May 13, 2007 at 11:48 PM Post #38 of 48
Im past the point of parental concern but wife agro can be worse. She tolerates my headphone/audio excesses. She knows how much I enjoy music and have always had a alot of it around since day one. I had a nice two speaker setup when we got married but it became the victim of new furniture. I got into the headphone to minimize my system loss and was quite suprised how much a $500 headphone setup can run with and eventually eclipse a $2k speaker setup. After dropping a $1.5k quickly in my headphone setup, I realized that the money doesnt make things sound better. I have recently begun the process of downsizing to a more moderate rig with an emphasis on synergy. I am very happy with my decision. This a great forum with a wonderful community but what matters is what sounds good to you.

I would try to focus more on the things that matter like school and grades. Its amazing how much slack can be given by parents when things are being handled with digilence. Perhaps they see the headphone hobby as a distraction. Just two cents from a jaded head-fier.

May 14, 2007 at 12:20 AM Post #39 of 48
Have them read this thread
wink.gif

kidding, or not, aside.. I let my mom listen before telling her I had anything and then went on to explain how much it would cost to get this kind of sound quality from speakers.. then left it at that..
biggrin.gif

May 14, 2007 at 1:53 AM Post #40 of 48
Lookit, I'm just doing my patriotic duty, the Decider told us to go shopping
wink.gif

May 14, 2007 at 2:34 AM Post #42 of 48
Well, being a Chinese son in a traditional Chinese family...

I learned that being disowned isn't all that bad if you really know how to work autonomously. Most of the time Chinese parents keep that invisible umbilical cord connected for way too long (hence so many Chinese kids are momma's boys or daddy's girls). IF you aren't the type that is completely attached, you can get away with being disowned for a while. Usually guilt will get the parents if it is something small like purchasing choices. Once you get back on talking terms, then you can start weaseling money out of them again.

IF they are paying for your schooling/housing/etc, just smile and nod. Sell half your gear, rebuy later and don't mess up again. There's nothing you can really do unless you want to spend the next couple years softening up your parents and getting them to accept the fact that you are an audiophile.

May 14, 2007 at 3:25 AM Post #43 of 48
Haha! thanks for all the responses! Especially that last one about being disowned...get threatened like that so many times!

Too bad...it's true that they're paying for my education/housing...but every penny that I've spent on this hobby are from my income doing co-op work terms. I wanted to get student loans and stuff, but it'd require them to say they're not supporting me and they won't do that.

Keep those responses coming in!

May 14, 2007 at 4:16 AM Post #44 of 48
Its simple, every hobby has its costs. And thats what I tell my parents.
One grand for anything is alot, but in every hobby that is a decent price for top end stuff.
I also mountain bike. A decent bike is a thousand bucks
In head-fi(dont know what to call audiophile with headphones) decent head phones and amp is about 1000$ right?
In photography, a decent camera is around 1000$
Ive spent god knows how much on vinyl every week
I could keep going and going.Its your hobby and its your money, you have chinese parents so just say "You/your family came from china to here to escape communism, and now that we can buy whatever we want, I WILL!"

May 14, 2007 at 5:00 AM Post #45 of 48
<< --- chinese parents.

i has enough moneys for now. i didn't tell them jack.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back