How did you get into speakers?
Jan 22, 2006 at 2:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

nabwong

Headphoneus Supremus
This is my story.

I was totally happy with headphones. I had no need for speakers. I had the Klipsch Promedia 2.1 and i thought that was enough, especially for my 1 bedroom apartment. Then my gf said, we need to get a rack so that the xbox and dvd player wouldn't be on the floor. I said fine... BIG MISTAKE.

So we were surfing craigslist and we stumbled upon the Sanus NF206. Amazingly the price was 60% off. We jumped on that. It was beautiful. Then somehow it didn't look right. There were too many empty slots...oh nooooooo....then she said the magic words. "Maybe we need more equipment..." So i went nutz!

We went to our local audio shop to check out stuff, bringing along our favorite music. That was the point of no return. I was totally not ready to part with my money. We went home without buying anything but had a good idea what we wanted. Well, i had other ideas by then..hehehe...

We both agreed to get the NAD 320bee. At first, we settled on the Atoms. Then we heard the DM600, and then 601. OMG! Then she left on a business trip. So there i was all alone, making decisions that could ruin me. I went with the 602. I was satisfied, only briefly. There wasn't enough low end to that.

That's when i saw a pair of Dali Suite 2.8 and the 602s had to go. Add the Sony ce595 to that and now my rack is filled. On the down side, my RS2 and Xbox had to go in the other direction, OUT.

And so, it started out with an innocent rack......

btw, she doesn't know yet. She'll only be back on the 31st...LOL

Jan 22, 2006 at 3:06 PM Post #2 of 11
I got into speakers when my uncle gave me a pair of Energy 22.2's floorstanders, a Luxman LV-105 hybrid tube amp, and a Denon DCD-3520 CD player (which had balanced outputs!!). Then slowly, he took back the Luxman. Then he asked for the Denon. Then, finally he took away the Energy 22.2's (with me kicking and screaming!).

At the end, he sold them all on newsgroups for half of the price they were worth. Apparently he liked his Yamaha 5.1 setup with PSB Image 4T's and cheapo Yamaha surrounds better.

Nevertheless, I don't talk too much with him anymore.
mad.gif
Since he was pretty much the reason why I brought myself here on Head-Fi, with the promise of a better future and that it was easier to achieve audio nirvana with headphones than it was with speakers. (my *****...)

Jan 22, 2006 at 3:14 PM Post #3 of 11
In my case is the other way around. I used to be into speakers and for aobut 12 years I was upgrading all the time. I then did not pay much attention to them and about a year ago got into headphones.

My speakers are pretty old, DCM Time Windows 1A. I doubt if any one here remembers them. Here is a review in AudiogoN: http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr...8115&read&3&4&

Jan 22, 2006 at 3:29 PM Post #4 of 11
I have had speakers most of my life except for a time when I was in school. But even then I was lucky and had roommates that had a system. I have used headphones on and off for years but I have come to appreciate how good they can be in the last 5.

Jan 22, 2006 at 3:35 PM Post #5 of 11
nabwong, I like your girl friend
icon10.gif

I got into speakers when I was in high school. Back when speakers first came out.
icon10.gif

One of my teachers had a rig with a pair of huge JBL monitors. My friend and I were taking care of the teacher's house while he was away. We were playing the stereo at max volume and the speakers had such bass that a cup vibrated off a shelf. I've been in love with speakers ever since.

Jan 23, 2006 at 2:41 AM Post #6 of 11
i currently own the Klipsch Promedia Ultra 5.1 [computer] speakers...

orignally bought the original promedia 5.1's from someone who kept on bugging me to buy his speakers...
biggrin.gif
, anyways i ended up buying them, but the amp crapped out, got free upgrade [to my current set up] directly from Klipsch....and as a university student living away from home, that's as much as i can afford, but i love them none-the-less...

Jan 23, 2006 at 2:48 AM Post #7 of 11
A friend of mine had some nice giant floorstanding speakers, and a decent (Denon) component system. Rather, his parents did. Used to rock out when they were gone.

I had an excess of money awhile ago, and hit a pawn shop on the way home from work. 'Twas New Years Eve, and they were having a massive end of year sale. I originally thought I might pickup a CD player and speakers for my crappy car, if they were cheap enough. Then I started thinking about home speakers. I have an old Marantz receiver hooked up to my stack 'o crap (DVD player, VCR, Xbox, CD Player), and some hideously bad Radio Shack speakers we had. 2 ways, with maybe a 3" mid. Crapped out at anything resembling bass. I found some Technics SB-LX50 with a sticker price of $90. Hmm. I look at them, and they appear decent. 3-ways with polypropolene 10" woofers, 140/70W Peak/RMS, and Technics makes decent stuff. No grilles, and there's a very small dent in the dustcap of one of the woofers. Still, no visible damage. Hmm indeed. I ask about them, and haggle a bit, and the owner offered $70. Sold.

Brought them home (which was quite fun... '85 Ford Ranger with very limited cab space. Had one wedged between the floor and seat, and the other balanced on top, so I had to grab it every time I accelerated, braked, or turned), hooked 'em up, and WOW. Thoroughly pissed off siblings with the massive boom. I play bass guitar, so I'm accustomed to low stuff. Never did I imagine such powerful and clear sound could come from 10" speakers. Popped in some Juno Reactor. Oh yeah, they rock. Shake everything in the house. My door actually swung shut on it's own. Then I tried games. Hells yeah. Finally, explosions shake things, as they should. Unfortunately, I couldn't put them anywhere without them blocking something, or a door hitting them. So I found some particle board, got some drywall anchors, and wall-mounted the suckers. Very impressive looking.

So, yeah. I still love my cans, but I definitely see a component system and speakers in my future. (since the components actually don't belong to me, and I figure I'll leave the speakers since my brother would kill me if I took them)

Jan 23, 2006 at 5:15 AM Post #8 of 11
I got into speakers while I was searching for a source-upgrade. None of the stores I stopped at had decent headphone set ups to listen on, so I did most of my auditioning on speakers. During that process, I remembered how much I loved speakers! Listening to speakers is a very different experience than listening to headphones... After I had found the source, i couldn't help going back for the speakers.
smily_headphones1.gif

Well it was a little more drawn out than that, but you get the picture.

Jan 23, 2006 at 3:42 PM Post #9 of 11
I got into speakers when using the TV or my tiny boombox wasnt' cutting it anymore, and I wanted to play the tunes on my computer out in the open somehow. I looked up some deals on head-fi, found the Wharfedale Crystal 20s for 100 bucks shipped, and I was done!

Jan 23, 2006 at 10:00 PM Post #10 of 11
I think it's the other way around,
I've always had lot's of speakers, some unused in storage or in a closet.
Needed phones when the PC came around and didn't like computer speakers and needed a HP amp for the sound.
I can't wait till this thurs when I'm getting a Tandberg 3080A receiver. If the tuner section is as good as they say it is, I would be in heaven if WLIR was still around.

Jan 23, 2006 at 10:19 PM Post #11 of 11
I had to switch to speakers when I could no longer use headphones for extended periods after a jaw operation. The sound isn't quite what I get with the HD 580s, especially low end definition, but I suppose I'll get there eventually. Placement and stuff like that is a major bore with speakers.
frown.gif

/JF

Users who are viewing this thread

Back