How did you become an Head-FI?
Feb 19, 2006 at 5:08 PM Post #31 of 56
I heard about Head-fi from another forum called Minidisc Community Forums that I used to frequently visit in the past.

I dont go to MCF much anymore, but i will forever be an MD-MAN!
biggrin.gif

Feb 19, 2006 at 5:53 PM Post #33 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by aaroncort
I bought an mp3 player about 4 years ago and stubled across the headphone section of IGN.com. They had a very good selection of reviews of grado headphones of all things.

IGN was the first place I read about headphones, and their review of the SR60 was the reason I bought them. The article had a link to Headroom, and I called to order. Before I dialed the phone, I remember thinking, "Hi-fi and Montana don't quite seem right"
biggrin.gif

Feb 19, 2006 at 10:09 PM Post #34 of 56
about 2 years ago, i had a technics rp-f500. I loved 'em. Then Google -> rp-f500 review. I was curious what others say about it. I had to say that was the biggest mistake
biggrin.gif
DD I started to search for a good headphone for a low price. First i was thinking about buying the senn 515 then i read on head-fi about the 555 -> then about the 595... now i got a Senn HD 595, this is my first good hp, but now i'm thinking about, what will be my fifth...
biggrin.gif

So FU Head-Fi
biggrin.gif
This site should be banned from Google ;p

Feb 19, 2006 at 10:23 PM Post #35 of 56
I came to Head-Fi in search of a really good pair of closed headphones. Prior to that...

My experience with closed headphones started with some $20 supraaurals from Best Buy. They weren't much, but they worked well enough for the computer games I used them for. Eventually the pads started wearing out and I moved up to a pair of $30 Aiwa circumaurals. I was floored in the comparison to the Maxells. I happily used the Aiwas for a while when the upgrade bug hit me around Christmas tim. Not knowing anything about Head-Fi, I went over to Epinions to look at headphone reviews. I learned about the Sennheiser HD280s, and despite the issue raised about the headband cracking after a while, I put it on my list. Upon receiving them, I was quite happy with the level of detail provided. On extended listens, however, I found that the highs were incredibly fatiguing after about 15-20 min of listening, plus the clamping pressure was pretty excessive. Despite giving the HD280s numerous chances, I retreated back to the Aiwas and promptly returned the HD280s back to Amazon.

No longer satisfied with the Aiwas, I began expanding my headphone research, and stumbled upon Head-Fi. I was recommended the AKG K271S, and it all went downhill from there.
biggrin.gif

Feb 19, 2006 at 11:20 PM Post #36 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by benton
Google: Good headphones for under $10 ---> some random site about grado -----> found link on site to head-fi ------> joined -------> here

hope you weren't too disappointed when you ended up spending more than $100 instead of just 10 bucks.

I was interest in the ATH-ES7's and i wanted to see some reviews about them before putting down 150 for a product i've never seen before. and then here i am.

Feb 20, 2006 at 12:37 AM Post #37 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by arielext
ipod/stock -> ipod/ sony ex71 -> h120/ex71 -> h120/ shure E2 -> h120/E3 -> cowon M3L/E3 -> M3l/westone UM2 -> M3L/ES2 -> X5L/ES2.

some denon DD receiver -> yamaha V440/Sennheiser HD590 -> HD600 / MS1 / Beyer DT990 / Stax sr30

at first I was a real IEM dude, but since the shure E3's i noticed that headphones could replace my eltax speakers, so I went on buying the HD590, I was a member since just before I bought my E3, before that I was a lurker/poster at Tweakers.net.

Now fully convinced of the cheapness/bliss ratio of good headphones vs. speakers. people call me crazy cause I own 9 phones, but hey 9 is just the beginning
wink.gif

And yes, my wallet is empty.

Nice to see another Tweaker here.
biggrin.gif

I came here because I hated the sound of my (what I thought then were expensive headphones) Philips HP-830's. I went to some online audio
shops, and started looking for reviews. Then, google made the mistake of pointing me here. Couple days after joining I bought a pair of HD-595's from PinkFloyd, couple days later I built a Cmoy, couple weeks later I bought a pair of E4's, and now I'm looking for second pair of headphones, a different amp, and a usb dac. I'll never forgive google. Never.
biggrin.gif

Feb 20, 2006 at 12:38 AM Post #38 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by jessica_fae
I can't remember when I discovered Head-fi but I discovered high-end headphones back in 1985 when I started university in Madison, WI. I discovered a shop there called Happy Medium which carried among other things a wall with headphones for demoing. It was an amazing setup of Sennheiser, Beyer Dynamics, and Stax ranging from $35 cans all the way up to a Stax Lamba and Stax Sigma for $350-500 I couldn't believe anyone would spend that much on phones, but the sales man said well what do you like to listen to, I'lll put it on and you can start on the right (cheapest) and move your way across until you find something you like. I just don't understand why more shops don't do this. Well I bought the $350 Stax Lambdas (not pro) with SRD7 (6 months later the Yen got really strong and the price of the Stax doubled in price). I've loved them ever since and I've owned lots of different phones between then and now and driven the Stax with lots of different systems. I added a used Stax SRM1 a couple years back and I still love that pair of Lamdbas today as much as I did that first day almost 20 years ago.

Jessica

Wow! First post???

Feb 20, 2006 at 6:26 AM Post #39 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ e
Wow! First post???

I thought I had posted before but I guess I've just been lurking
wink.gif
I did just order a Gilmore Lite to drive my HD580s so I may have something to contribute here soon. I'm sure there are many 'Stax are GODS' posts here already
tongue.gif

Feb 20, 2006 at 6:56 AM Post #40 of 56
I came across the Shure brand, at futureshop while looking for headphones. I googled shure reviews, then came accross headfi. Saw the amazing members, and forums, then decided to register.
Now loving my stay here.
Thanks

Feb 20, 2006 at 7:52 AM Post #41 of 56
I was getting new cans for myself and was thinking about HD595. Then my friend told me to check out this forum called Head-Fi and read some reviews from there and you know the rest. After that I soon ordered AV710 and convinced myself not to order an amp ever. Well... that didn't work.
biggrin.gif

Feb 20, 2006 at 8:56 AM Post #43 of 56
I'm with you on having a kid as the reason for getting into headphones... First it was a set of Grados (SR80s) to start with (don't need amping to sound good do they?). Then Little Dot II. Bah my computer needs a friend (Meier Aria), next up a set of ATH-AD900LTD, coming is a Headamp AE-1 and a Portaphile V3 just so I can compare a couple of portables. I got a set of AKG K271s on their way too. My daughter is now 7 months old and man she has cost me some loot with this addiction... One it will be all hers...

Quote:

Originally Posted by bahamaman
Like socrates63, I blame my kid. When he was a baby, a headphone set-up was a virtual necessity, since the only time I had to listen was when he was asleep.

I don't even want to estimate what this place has cost me
frown.gif
Even so, it's been a fun ride.

Feb 20, 2006 at 9:00 AM Post #44 of 56
Dell i9300 + Senn PX100

then

+ 1Gb Shuffle + Ety ER6i

then

JOINED HEAD-FI + another Ety ER6i

then

+ Apple 40Gb 4G iPod + Senn HD555

then