How did ppl buy Hi end headphones before the net?
Jun 21, 2007 at 11:16 AM Post #16 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by lord_tris /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would have to venture to say that ppl got off their @$$ and left their house to go to stores or trade shows of some type. thats what i did when i was younger and did not have the internet
smily_headphones1.gif

X2

Jun 21, 2007 at 11:43 AM Post #17 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by carlosgp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They did not. This thing really exploded with internet.

Interesting thought.

Headphones.. yeees, I like, I like! : )

Jun 21, 2007 at 11:49 AM Post #18 of 33
Code:

Code:
[left]Now the oldsters like fordgt and setmenu can regale you with stories of riding a burrow ten miles in the snow to pick up a pair of jecklin Floats.[/left]

LOL - we could afford no burrow. You rich people have never been able to feel any of our underclass pain.

Code:

Code:
[left]They did not. This thing really exploded with internet.[/left]

Sure we did. We just had to exert some energy. We did things like go to the hifi shop just before closing on Saturday's to talk to the old dudes who worked their and listen to them rabbit on about audio gear. They would often let us listen to a few bits of kit that was new and sexy. Occasionally, I could actually afford to buy something. Usually, I would buy on lay-buy (I think it's called lay-away in the US). Credit cards weren't yet so popular and television was just a crazy box with mystical moving pictures.

I think the AKG K1000 came out in 1991. The year before the first web browser was released. So we even had soem good kit - back in the day.

Jun 21, 2007 at 12:02 PM Post #19 of 33
I guess a lot of people simply saved a lot of money back then. oN the other hand, maybe they didn't becasue they didn't know what was the best value for their money and just bought whatever was available near them. A lot of people were possibly missing out on the hi-fi audio experience back then.

Must be said that a lot of the users on here seem to be young[er] people. I think the whole audio/headphones/hi-fi thing amongst generation-y and younger has exploded with the introductions of iPods etc. which happened after internet was created. Still, most of these people don't care if they use iBuds or other pack-ins, and can't tell the difference between 128k mp3's and lossless music. Its just the ones that want more from their music.

Jun 21, 2007 at 12:21 PM Post #20 of 33
^

Guys come on. Before the Internet we didn't sit around in caves you know. Shops tended to carry better ranges of stock, which they would let you compare. There were plenty of decent headphones around for the discerning buyer. The Internet and Head-fi certainly have helped, but they didn't start it.

There was no such thing as going to the shop for a listen and then jumping online to find a better price.

The iPod - believe it or not - was not the start of portable music. The Sony walkman was launched in 1979. CDs were launched in 1983 and and the discman (CD walkman) came out in 1984.

This stuff has been around for a while now.

Jun 21, 2007 at 12:29 PM Post #21 of 33
Not sure if this the story you are looking for, but here is my 2 cents of it.

When I have got married, I started interesting in HP. All this because my music preferences are way different from my wife, so we bought an Philips IR wireless phones. This way it is all begun. Up here, in Holland, we have enough of HIGH END shops to check the HP as well. This way I have tried my first Grado. The first thing I though, when I saw them, WEIRD. But after I put them on, WOW, I just couldn't believe that the phones can sound like that. At the time I already had AKG HEARO 777 DE LUXE Wireless phones and thought that these are GREAT. Well, they were, for the purpose of course.
Later I was searching for a new portable phone for my MP3 player and get the head-fi link from some guy from the other forum. After that the world turned completely

Jun 21, 2007 at 1:42 PM Post #22 of 33
My recollections from the past--

1) When I was young, in the 1950's and early 1960's we had Allied Radio in Chicago which carried everything electronic--WW2 surplus, tubes, variable capacitors, Knight kits, which were largely shortwave, etc. It was huge and the center of the local radio universe. They had a big catalog at the store and by mail.

2) Heathkit was mail order only out of Benton Harbor, MI. They made kits with the most wonderful instructions. Their products were mostly amateur radio, but they also make home stereo and television kits. I bought a telephone ringer that played classical music. The company was advertised in magazines and had a catalog. It was a company that really did it all right.

3) The biggest boost to stereo and hi-fi in the U.S. was the Vietnam war. Huge numbers of men returned with Japanese stereo receivers, speakers, tape decks, etc. purchased from PACEX in Tokyo or NEX I think in Okinawa, and of course right from the local war zone PX.

4) In the late 1960's and 1970's there were many stereo shops throughout the U.S. Pacific Stereo stays in my mind. These were easily accessible in strip centers and shopping malls, quiet, subdued lighting and filled with racks of beautiful stereos radiating yellow, green, and blue light from the tuning scales...It was quite a sensory experience just to go inside the shop. There were a few very high end stereo shops with product names I did not recognize and very high prices. Then these all disappeared in the late 1980-1990's...

5) Retail prices were only low in the PACEX/NEX catalogs These vintage receivers, etc. referenced in #4 were expensive, but there was a range of prices. The kits considerable less so.

6) There were quite a few magazines as I recall, but I never was too interested.

7) Headphone did not seem to be a prominent hi-fi item in the above decades. They were primarily used for communications. Or maybe I was just not interested.

I do own a beautiful Pioneer stereo headphone with its own 8x10x8 inch silk lined box from PACEX. The phones look like 2 snowballs connected by a wire strap with leather over the strap and the earmuff insulators are leather too. They are 8 ohms impedance.

8) My own experience of the internet is to become aware of so many products, but it is too easy to access products and very easy to buy.

F

Jun 21, 2007 at 2:21 PM Post #24 of 33
In a local store maybe? Just like I did one year ago...
tongue.gif

Jun 21, 2007 at 2:22 PM Post #25 of 33
i walked into a five and dime and bought a sony v150. and didn't touch headphones again until the internet was created and sophisticated enough for me to find this place. so sad.

Jun 21, 2007 at 2:31 PM Post #26 of 33
Normally what I would do would be buy a magazine or two or three, or four on the subject I was interested in and spend a fair amount of time reading up on the subject and then fill out one of those "readers service cards" in the back of the magazines requesting catalogs, or fill-in and clip out the little area in the ad where it said to send for the catalog and mail it in, but then you had a big square piece missing from the magazine and you hoped it wouldn't mess-up something on the other side of the page. Then wear the catalogs out when they finally arrived.

A few more magazines and a bit more reading followed the next month by a few more magazines and a bit more reading followed by a trip to the library to see if they had any back issues on the subject.

*whew*

Then...a trip three hours down the road to the nearest B&M listed on the list of retailers included with the catalogs.

Jun 21, 2007 at 2:31 PM Post #27 of 33
Sears Roebuck & Co. and Montgomery Ward were actually pretty decent. But most people just went to the mall. I remember there used to be 3-4 good record stores in a single mall. All sold headphones. For really hi-fi stuff, there were specialty shops.

Jun 21, 2007 at 2:37 PM Post #28 of 33
Publishing

Jun 21, 2007 at 3:19 PM Post #29 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry if I sound nieve, but there is no way I would have found out about Mid fi, hi fi, & ultra hi fi phones in the bay area if it wasn't for the net.. You just can't buy them in San Jose, & probably in all of CA.

Audiophile, Stereophile, and other similar type hi-fi & music magazines, after all they still put too darn many advertisements in them ... , versus not enough content ...
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 21, 2007 at 3:20 PM Post #30 of 33
In the earliest days, I would read magazine reviews about cans, and see some mail-order ads in same.
Later, good old HeadRoom started advertising and educating the public in their magazine ads.
Cans would many times be for sale in record stores, which were quite numerous at one time.
A very few "Hi-Fi" storefronts started opening up, and would sometimes have cans on their shelves among their (mostly) speakers and stuff like that.
Another source was infrequent huge "Hi-Fi" shows at fairgrounds -- a few cans could sometimes be found scattered around the different vendors' display areas.
And later, places like CircuitCity would sometimes have a variety of cans out for display, and for auditioning, by plugging into one of their display stereo receivers.
Then I found and joined the upstart HeadWize forum.
Then I found and joined the upstart Head-Fi forum.
Things are unbelievably better these days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back