How deep is too deep?
Oct 1, 2006 at 10:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Gamemako

100+ Head-Fier
I've been listening to my new iM716s this weekend and I've found that I get essentially the same sound out of the tri-flanges when they're inserted fully but not as far as I can go as when I push them ALL the way in. Now, I get the impression I have rather small ear canals, since I can't use the foam ones at all -- they're just way too big to fit into my ear (even after pressing a little harder than I feel I should with my new IEMs). Still, I can stick the tri-flanges in pretty far -- as in, until I can barely grip the rear of the earphones to avoid pulling on the cable to get them out of my ear. So my question is: how deep is too deep? Is there a point at which the IEMs are too far into the ear canal and become dangerous?

Thanks.

Oct 1, 2006 at 11:41 PM Post #2 of 8
I believe the average human ear canal is 2.5 cm - 3 cm in length, so the iM716 will not be able to damage your actual ear drum, at least physically. I don't think any IEM can be inserted deep enough to touch the ear canal, actually.

Oct 2, 2006 at 2:48 AM Post #4 of 8
Hmmm, strange... I inserted my ER-20s 3 cm deep today. The ear canals can't be THAT short.

Oct 2, 2006 at 3:39 AM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ace o' Spades
I did it once by accident with my e2cs. Not fun, and it was one of the reasons I sold them.

i don't think the shure e2 can go in as deep as the e3 or e4.

Oct 2, 2006 at 5:11 AM Post #6 of 8
Interestingly, I have discovered that pulling the earphones out slightly produced much greater sound volume. I wonder if this is an effect of reverberation or if my ear canals are simply strangely shaped? Or is there some other devious hand at play here?
very_evil_smiley.gif
etysmile.gif

Oct 2, 2006 at 5:34 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gamemako
Interestingly, I have discovered that pulling the earphones out slightly produced much greater sound volume. I wonder if this is an effect of reverberation or if my ear canals are simply strangely shaped? Or is there some other devious hand at play here?
very_evil_smiley.gif
etysmile.gif

the hole of the tip was probably facing or on the wall of your canals. pulling them out a little bit pulled it away from your walls

Oct 2, 2006 at 6:29 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by feh1325
the hole of the tip was probably facing or on the wall of your canals. pulling them out a little bit pulled it away from your walls

Yep, I've found this to be the case with most of the IEM's I've tried. With comply tips, or any foam for that matter, they sometimes go in on an angle and sound muffled, then when the foam expands they center themselves in the ear canal and are fine.

As for inserting them deep enough to cause damage, thats tough to say. One thing is for certain, if they're not comfortable that should be a sign! My guess with the sound level difference is when they're all the way pushed in there's a bit of pressure caught inside your ear, which will damp the armature/diaphram movement and cause reduced output. Pulling them back a bit might be enough to equalize this and take the pressure off the drivers.

Another trick is to pull your ear up from the top while inserting, as it straightens out your ear canal and can make it easier to insert.

G'luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back