How common is popping/clicking with usb dac's?
May 2, 2018 at 11:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

TERMiNAL_

Head-Fier
I have the Topping D30/A30 and I am wondering if the popping/clicking issues are common on usb dac's.

When playing Youtube videos, upon skipping through the tracks sometimes there are little pops/clicks, but when there is a delay there is no click/pop...I have the same sounds with Onboard audio also, so maybe it's a Windows/Youtube issue? The pops/clicks are not loud.

The Topping D30 also states that with DSD playback, there is no popping noises, this is not true...there is no popping/clicking during regular playback but when skipping through the track it will pop. it also states there is no popping sound when switching from DSD to PCM...the is also un-true. I think even this issue affect's high end dac's such as psaudio dac's...

I am using some really crappy RCA cables though, they are just RCA component cables and I'm using the white and red...the yellow is of course not being used...

I have doubts that a better RCA cable will fix my issues though.

My manual shows this for usb input:

Pop sound at USB input - Software problem - Update motherboard driver and OS

Last edited:
May 3, 2018 at 5:40 AM Post #2 of 7
These kinds of issues can be fairly sporadic and usually USB based.

I get pops and crackles when I have my NFB11.28 plugged into USB3 on my current home PC system.
Through a USB2 port on the same system, it runs perfectly with no pops or crackles at all.

I didn't have any of these issues on my previous older system, which had USB 1 and 2 only.

Never had any issues with my ODAC on any system on any USB type.

I'm not saying switching USB will fix the problem, but trying out EVERY port on your system might be a good first step.

May 3, 2018 at 9:01 AM Post #3 of 7
I have an Origen+ and had the same problems with clicks and pops. I tried different ports on my PC but still had the same issues, so I connected it with an optical / TOSLINK cable and haven't had a problem since!

Unfortunately the Origen+ is starting the fail, problems with the headphone stage, and I'm thinking of replacing it with a D30, plus A30 or Magni 3, precisely because of the optical input.

Amazon has some VERY inexpensive optical cables you could try.

May 3, 2018 at 10:02 AM Post #4 of 7
These kinds of issues can be fairly sporadic and usually USB based.

I get pops and crackles when I have my NFB11.28 plugged into USB3 on my current home PC system.
Through a USB2 port on the same system, it runs perfectly with no pops or crackles at all.

I didn't have any of these issues on my previous older system, which had USB 1 and 2 only.

Never had any issues with my ODAC on any system on any USB type.

I'm not saying switching USB will fix the problem, but trying out EVERY port on your system might be a good first step.

The main annoyance for me is with dsd playback, when skipping through the track or track change there will a popping noise. I have tried different usb 2.0 and 3.0 ports but seem the same, although the 2.0 ports seem to have less popping maybe.

The popping on Youtube is almost not noticeable, I don't think it will ever go away %100 on any system.

I could try optical, but when it comes to cables I really don't think that will change anything...I will get one though and see.

Oh and actually the D30 doesn't support DSD over Optical, only with USB...

Last edited:
May 3, 2018 at 10:05 AM Post #5 of 7
I have an Origen+ and had the same problems with clicks and pops. I tried different ports on my PC but still had the same issues, so I connected it with an optical / TOSLINK cable and haven't had a problem since!

Unfortunately the Origen+ is starting the fail, problems with the headphone stage, and I'm thinking of replacing it with a D30, plus A30 or Magni 3, precisely because of the optical input.

Amazon has some VERY inexpensive optical cables you could try.

Yeah I am going to try an optical cable, all systems are bit fussy I guess.

This is what it actually says about the D30:

"No pop noise

For technology problems, most DAC will has pop noise while switching DSD and PCM. We design a circuit which made of relay and electronic switch, it cut off all pop noise of D30, including turning on, turning off and switching DSD and PCM."

So there maybe nothing wrong with the D30, could just be software based...I haven't had any other issues with my D30.

May 3, 2018 at 8:35 PM Post #6 of 7
"Oh and actually the D30 doesn't support DSD over Optical, only with USB..."

I have read posts from others who want to stay with the USB connection for DSD etc say that plugging the DAC into a powered USB hub, instead of directly into the system also helps with the clicks and pops... if you have a powered hub laying around you could try that first.

Last edited:
May 3, 2018 at 8:52 PM Post #7 of 7
"Oh and actually the D30 doesn't support DSD over Optical, only with USB..."

I have read posts from others who want to stay with the USB connection for DSD etc say that plugging the DAC into a powered USB hub, instead of directly into the system also helps with the clicks and pops... if you have a powered hub laying around you could try that first.

The D30 is externally powered.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back