How comfy are 650s? compared to dt531s
May 12, 2004 at 8:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

jpo245

100+ Head-Fier
Hi guys, i've been slowly working my way up the headphone ladder, and am finalyl considering getting a 650.....

first of all, can i ask, how does its sound compare to my current work horse : DT531?

1. How's the sound stage?
2. the bass?

3. Is it brighter than the dt531? I kinda like the 531's level of brightness. my grados were definitely too bright.

4. How comfy are 650s? The dt531s i'd say are the MOST comfortable phones ever. i can wear them 8 hours NO SWEAT. no pressure around my ears, no headache, no nothing. those velour pads are amazing....

Would my upgrade to 650s be worth it?
Would i be able to listen 8 hours no sweat w/o discomfort, and at the same time enjoy that much better soudn quality?

Thanks!

May 12, 2004 at 8:41 AM Post #2 of 14
1. The soundstage is pretty similar to the HD650 to my ears. If anything, the soundstage on the DT531 may be *slightly* larger.

2. The bass on the DT531 to my ears is punchier than the HD650, but the HD650 goes lower.

3. The HD650s sound a lot duller than the DT531; yes you could say the DT531s are brighter, but to me, the treble on the DT531s is very good.

4. The DT531s are a bit more comfortable than the HD650. They are lighter, and dont clamp as much.

I had both the HD650 around at the same time as the DT531, and I preferrred the latter, it was simply more fun to listen to. The HD650 is smoother, more laid back and more detailed, but not as fun to my ears. YMMV.

Even though I have the CD3000, I almost wish I still had the DT531.

May 12, 2004 at 10:20 AM Post #3 of 14
1. I would say the sound stage is about the same as the 531's

2. The HD-650's bass has more impact, slam and extension compared to the 531's

3. I actually found the HD-650 sounded more lively and maybe brighter than the DT531. Defiantly not dull by any means. I like the HD-650 treble more and I think its a more detailed headphone. Hmm my findings are quite different from pbirkett's, guess it depends on your system.

4. The DT-531's are the most comfortable headphone I have ever worn. The HD-650's are tighter, heavier and leave less room around the ear.

In terms of sound quality I think upgrading to the HD-650's will be well worth it, so long as you aren't too used to the DT531's extreme comfort.

May 12, 2004 at 11:58 AM Post #4 of 14
unfortunately one thing the 531's do right away is spoil you completely with the comfort.
that is something which the beyer's are renowned for
sheer comfort with a nice sound at a great price and easy replacement of parts

May 12, 2004 at 4:00 PM Post #5 of 14
thanks for the replies guys!! looks like i won't be upgrading so soon... will probably spend the money on better amps....

i still can't get enuff of the comfort of the dt531s...

does anyone know how to remove the velour pads? For the life of me i can't figure out how to remove them.

i also feel like buying more, to try and mod other phones with them.

May 12, 2004 at 7:52 PM Post #6 of 14
well you should have got instructions for it with the headphones themselves.
if you look at the driver casing, you can separate the pads from the driver hosing by using a swiss army knife or for that matter anything sharp that can slip in between the pad and the driver housing join.
after that the pads just come right of the plastic clip bit and then yuou can slide a new pair of pads on it.

that's it
I will scan the beyer doco if you want aznd post it here tommorow.

Cheers
Kunwar

May 12, 2004 at 11:40 PM Post #8 of 14
I bought my DT531 used (can't find 'em new in the States
frown.gif
) and the pads are quite worn. I'd like to order new ones from Beyerdynamics, but I'm unsure which pads these use - are they the same ones as the DT770/880 (I think they are)? Thanks guys.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 13, 2004 at 12:28 AM Post #10 of 14
I've been looking for ages, but I finally found a pair new over at ebay.de. You can find them new easily in Finland, but that's because they're €168.00 locally. Hopefully I'll be getting them soon. You guys are really reving up the anticipation level.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 13, 2004 at 6:34 AM Post #12 of 14
hey plain song i'd like to know how the dt531s compare to ur 600s once u get it!! Im thinking of getting some 600s as well....

Quote:

Originally Posted by plainsong
I've been looking for ages, but I finally found a pair new over at ebay.de. You can find them new easily in Finland, but that's because they're €168.00 locally. Hopefully I'll be getting them soon. You guys are really reving up the anticipation level.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 13, 2004 at 11:20 AM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by pbirkett
Plainsong, I know of a place in the UK that sells them for for 100 euros brand new, maybe they will ship them to Finland if you dont have any luck on ebay...

http://www.tmc.ltd.uk/

They don't seem to ship outside the UK. I got the dt531s new for exactly €100 including the shipping price, and apparently they shipped yesterday.. so hopefully next week sometime they'll be grooving on my head.
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

hey plain song i'd like to know how the dt531s compare to ur 600s once u get it!! Im thinking of getting some 600s as well....

Sure no problem, I'll plug them both into the Perreaux and see how they do.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back