How comfortable are the ER-4P's?
Jun 7, 2004 at 3:33 PM Post #46 of 56
if i were to see someone on the streets wearing the 4p, i wouldnt give him a second look, because i wouldnt see the 4p.

but if i were to see someone on the streets wearing the shures, and i have, now that looks like a hearing aid to me.
biggrin.gif

Jun 7, 2004 at 5:01 PM Post #47 of 56
I just read 3 or 4 reviews that mentioned the discomfort of putting something that far down your ear canal, so now I'm a little worried :/

The ear buds that came with the iPod are really bothering me, but I think it's just because they're large pieces of uncomfortable plastic sitting in my ear. I guess the only way to see if the ER-4P's bother me is to try them, huh?

That's what the 30-day money back policy is for, right?

-Jesse

Jun 7, 2004 at 7:17 PM Post #48 of 56
I don't think this would be a problem with the foam tips. The white tips seem like they need to go further in. The foam tips are so nice, that I wonder if there's a catch. "Am I losing some sound quality or something with the foamies?" Because I have to wonder, "Why would they include the white tri-flanges?"

Jun 8, 2004 at 2:12 AM Post #49 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by stream
I just read 3 or 4 reviews that mentioned the discomfort of putting something that far down your ear canal, so now I'm a little worried :/

The ear buds that came with the iPod are really bothering me, but I think it's just because they're large pieces of uncomfortable plastic sitting in my ear. I guess the only way to see if the ER-4P's bother me is to try them, huh?

That's what the 30-day money back policy is for, right?

-Jesse

it's like drinking coffee or consuming alcohol for the first time - it's gonna feel weird initially, but after you get used to it, you wonder what the fuss was all abt.

Jun 8, 2004 at 2:18 AM Post #50 of 56
I used the white tips exclusively. I thought they sounded far better and I got a perfect seal every time. I actually sold my foamies here on head-fi about three days after I got my Etys.
They felt uncomfortable for the first week, but after that, I couldn't even tell that they were in.

Jun 8, 2004 at 3:18 AM Post #51 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by adhoc
it's like drinking coffee or consuming alcohol for the first time - it's gonna feel weird initially, but after you get used to it, you wonder what the fuss was all abt.

lol... very good observation.

Jun 8, 2004 at 5:27 AM Post #52 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by stream

When I first got them I was shoving them too far down my ear. (Trying for depth). After I eased up both their sound improved and I felt a lot less discomfort putting them in.

Jun 8, 2004 at 2:18 PM Post #53 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by utdeep
I used the white tips exclusively. I thought they sounded far better and I got a perfect seal every time.

At first I thought the foamies delivered a more Sennheiser like sound -- a little softer, or warmer with a slightly richer - maybe bassier sound. I think they sealed a little better for me, which could warm the bass a little, and very very comfortable.

Going back to the white tips I think the sound is more open. Certain frequencies in the mid-upper feel less constrained. Why? Any thoughts?

Jun 8, 2004 at 6:09 PM Post #54 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xoton
At first I thought the foamies delivered a more Sennheiser like sound -- a little softer, or warmer with a slightly richer - maybe bassier sound. I think they sealed a little better for me, which could warm the bass a little, and very very comfortable.

Going back to the white tips I think the sound is more open. Certain frequencies in the mid-upper feel less constrained. Why? Any thoughts?

Maybe the foam blocks more reflection, particularly on the upper end? At first blush, it would seem to be a possible hypothesis based on the higher noise blockng they exhibit.

Jun 9, 2004 at 10:44 PM Post #55 of 56
Well, I've got er4ps with the s cable, and I like them a lot. They sound great and they isolate very well. In the noisy place I work, that's important. (And they don't make my whole head overheat like big closed cans do.)

I will say that the tips may make a difference in sound, but they also are a huge difference in comfort. I couldn't wear the white tips at all; they're painful and seem to pinch the insides of my ears. I could get a seal, but they were not comfortable, and no matter how good they sounded, having my ears hurt that much was not worth it.

The foamies, on the other hand, were comfortable and sound very good. Lots of folks here seem to dislike the foamies but, for me, they're the right answer.

I'm considering other cans to try at the office (less isolating) or for listening to music (open) but the etys are great.

(My roommates laugh at me when I play computer games. I'm not that great at them, but with a moderate sound card and the etys, I spend a lot of time just listening to what's going on around me. More important in sneaky games like Thief or Deus Ex than some.)

Jun 10, 2004 at 1:50 PM Post #56 of 56
Whatever the true db isolation, foamies rule. I used tri-flange tips for 8 months before it dawned on me to try the foamies. And they are by far (IMO) the most comfortable of all etys tips.

However, I recently bought five pairs of foamies off another head-fi'er and when I got them I noticed they were 4mm shorter in length, but of the same diameter. I immediately thought these were tips for the 6's, but no, they fit the 4's perfectly.

Has anyone else come across these tips before? Have you noticed a change in the sound signature?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back