How come wireless open back headphones dont exists?
Apr 12, 2024 at 12:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

frostyforst

New Head-Fier
Hello I'm new to this hobby so maybe I'm missing something. But I got into this hobby with a wired open back headphone from focal. It sounds great I love it.

But I can't help but think every day that I wish it was wireless. That way I can actually use it around the house. I dont need it wireless with ANC or anything like that to take out of the house. Literally I just want music around the house.

Do you guys not want to listen to music, while sitting at your dining table? How about music at the couch? Or music while loading your dishes? Right now the only place I can enjoy hifi music is at my desk...

It seems like I am missing something? A lot of people have written that wireless products are not what hifi users are looking for. I don't understand that? When most technical people in this hobby agree that users cannot tell lossy from lossless files anyway (http://abx.digitalfeed.net/). But hell anyway, BT can be made to do aptX/LDAC and other such things. I really dont see the argument on why wireless = crap sound so why bother with open back?

The best I can come up with right now, is to strap a wireless dongle (ifi go blu) connected to the wired openbacks, and then wrap the cable around my neck like a scarf. I'm really confused to how things have gotten to this.

Apr 12, 2024 at 12:51 PM Post #2 of 9
They exist, Grado makes one.

Apr 12, 2024 at 1:00 PM Post #3 of 9
In addition to Grado, Hifiman and Sineaptic also make open-back wireless models. But there's less demand because open-back headphones tend to be for stationary situations, where wires aren't a huge inconvenience, while wireless tends to be for convenience during mobile listening, where open-back headphones are poorly suited.

Apr 12, 2024 at 1:02 PM Post #4 of 9
I guess it's just been deemed that the market is too small for it? Hopefully many OEMs will change their mind as Bluetooth technology evolves.

Apr 13, 2024 at 5:21 PM Post #6 of 9
You can buy ($15.00) bluetooth wireless receiver. Pair that to your signal (music / news, etc.) and plug your headphones into the bluetooth receiver. You are now wireless. Bluetooth receiver available at eBay / Amazon

Apr 13, 2024 at 5:23 PM Post #7 of 9
Hifiman Ananda Bluetooth
Beyerdynamic Amiron Home wireless
Hifiman Deva wireless

The Amiron Home isn't wireless and the Amiron Wireless is a closed-back.

Apr 13, 2024 at 5:32 PM Post #8 of 9
You can buy ($15.00) bluetooth wireless receiver. Pair that to your signal (music / news, etc.) and plug your headphones into the bluetooth receiver. You are now wireless. Bluetooth receiver available at eBay / Amazon
That’s what I do right now. Did you read the post. The cable is wrapped around my neck. Wife is asking why I have a cable scarf.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back