How come the JVC HA-S500 sounds like crap to me when it sounds like gold to everyone else?
Dec 24, 2014 at 7:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Dangerous

New Head-Fier
I've had the JVC nanotube headphones for about 2 years and I just don't understand what all the hubub about them is, to be honest I think they sound pretty crappy but that might just be because my father let me borrow his $150 phones I just thought they sounded 10x better? Or could it be that since I've been playing the piano for over 5 years that I'm just picky about the tone?

Would you guys have any suggestions for a pair of headphones I could buy for around $100-$300 dollars that sounds good when listening to 70's rock, some soul, and a little bit of jazz? I've been looking at the ath-mx50x's lately and are tempted to buy them; would those sound good with the music genre's I said?

Thanks for any help and happy rocking
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 24, 2014 at 9:44 PM Post #2 of 11
Can you describe what you don't like about the sound you hear on the JVC 'phones? What was better about your Dad's headphones? What brand & model are your Dad's?

Dec 24, 2014 at 10:29 PM Post #4 of 11
I think it might be the treble tone it just sounds like my ears are dead whenever I hear the higher pitches. =/

What I'm really wondering is if the MX50x has more oomph on the higher tones than the JVC has.

Dec 24, 2014 at 10:31 PM Post #5 of 11
I'm not telling people not to like what I don't I'm just asking what someone would think would sound better for me on a personal level... I more meant it as a question of "what new headphone do you guys suggest I buy, if I dislike the nano model?"

Dec 27, 2014 at 7:07 PM Post #7 of 11
  I think it might be the treble tone it just sounds like my ears are dead whenever I hear the higher pitches. =/

What I'm really wondering is if the MX50x has more oomph on the higher tones than the JVC has.

Heres the measurements:
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/AudioTechnicaATHM50x.pdf
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/JVCHAS500Z.pdf

Dec 27, 2014 at 7:21 PM Post #8 of 11

Can you elaborate what bothers you the most with HA-S500 ? Does the piano sound "glassy" to you trough it ?

Dec 28, 2014 at 2:37 AM Post #9 of 11
  I'm not telling people not to like what I don't I'm just asking what someone would think would sound better for me on a personal level... I more meant it as a question of "what new headphone do you guys suggest I buy, if I dislike the nano model?"

It's not hard to better $50 headphones (HA-S500), if you will budget up to $300 for something better.
It might help to know what sources you plug the headphones into?

Dec 31, 2014 at 9:29 PM Post #10 of 11
JVC S500 doesn't have much treble resolution being an on-ear 50 dollar headphone. It would be nice to know what 150 dollar headphones you heard so we can suggest one with similar signature. I would think you would want and open more neutral headphone for your music style like the Q701 or a studio monitor like SRH840 that was recommended.

Feb 18, 2015 at 1:40 PM Post #11 of 11
  JVC S500 doesn't have much treble resolution being an on-ear 50 dollar headphone. It would be nice to know what 150 dollar headphones you heard so we can suggest one with similar signature. I would think you would want and open more neutral headphone for your music style like the Q701 or a studio monitor like SRH840 that was recommended.

Totally agree! I have both, and I find them to be a winning combination for home (srh840) and portable (S500) use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back