how come some sub woofers look like boxes and others funnels?
Jul 7, 2004 at 3:32 AM Post #2 of 19
someone answer the damn question you know the answer, what the hell is the problem then.
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif
:

Jul 7, 2004 at 4:17 AM Post #3 of 19
I dunno, but Im gonna go out on a limb here...I think the reason that no one is answering your questions is because of the tons of threads you make about what you want and about your z560s. I would suggest that you make fewer threads, use google, and think about what you say first.

But then again, I could be wrong....

Jul 7, 2004 at 4:20 AM Post #4 of 19
I searched for funnel subwoofer on google and didnt find anything, plus i thought this would be an easy question but apparently nobody has a clue about subs.

I`ll post a pic.

Jul 7, 2004 at 4:21 AM Post #5 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by skiguy411
But then again, I could be wrong....

No, you're probably right.

Jul 7, 2004 at 4:30 AM Post #8 of 19
This is pretty hilarious
smily_headphones1.gif
I was wondering wth you meant by funnel.

Jul 7, 2004 at 1:06 PM Post #14 of 19
OK, let me try to answer your question, as I understand it.

I think you are asking about the shape of the cone of the woofer - why does it vary from different manufacturers? Some woofers are concave, others flat. I am not sure why each manufacturer elects to use the shape that they do, though I am sure that they have marketing responses to that query.

I don't know what your current sub is, but I can tell you that building your own sub is fun, and not THAT hard. As Skiguy is having a ball doing his, so could you with yours.

I have built 2 to date. One is for my HT - 12 inch Nakamichi sub in a 4 foot box, tuned to 23Hz - BOOM for movies. The other is a 12 inch Fosgate sub, in a 1.5 sealed box - TUNE for music. Both are driven by my 300w BASH sub amp, fed signal from my integrated amp. Both are CAR subs, presently in use in my home audio system.

Very different sounds, and efficiencies, driven with the same amp - likely because each is carefully optimized in each box, for the sound I was looking for, out of the specs for the driver.

If you want to build your own sub, and have time, and interest (and likely around US$250) you can do so.

Hopefully some of this answers your question,

Mark

Jul 7, 2004 at 1:19 PM Post #15 of 19
Also, if you are thinking about building your own, its a good idea to have a radial arm saw/table saw, router (or jigsaw), and lots of sandpaper to get those edges to match up. I dont know how I would have done it with out those tools. I suppose you could get Home depot to do it, but make sure all your measurements are right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back