How cold is too cold for headphones?
Dec 8, 2006 at 7:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

DJGeorgeT

Headphoneus Supremus
I have some headphones being delivered in the winter. UPS/FEDEX usually drops them and they sit outside for 5 hours at maybe 10 deg F. How bad is cold on headphones????????? Should I worry?

Dec 8, 2006 at 7:53 AM Post #2 of 13
I think they should be fine as long as theyre packed up properly/dont get wet.

Dec 8, 2006 at 9:17 AM Post #3 of 13
I've gone out for walks in -20 weather with KSC75, HD580, Vibe, iGrado, K81DJ, er6i, UM1 and... probably a couple of other cans. I've never had an issue with any of them, but these were never over about an hour. I doubt you will run into any majour issues, but I'm honestly not sure. Grab a pair of earbuds, toss them in the freezer overnight and see how they fare in the morning after warming up. Base it on that!

Dec 8, 2006 at 9:58 AM Post #4 of 13
i've heard somewhere that u shouldn't listen to headphones that just came out of cold weather in a warm room, something with water vapor or such...

Dec 8, 2006 at 10:03 AM Post #5 of 13
The only headphone I found has problem when temperature drops too low is ATH-AD2000.

Dec 8, 2006 at 1:16 PM Post #7 of 13
Unlike electronics, headphones are relatively impervious to issues of being cold, even condensation. When you come in from the cold, it's best to let let the headphones warm up to room temp before using them, but even this isn't really an issue.

With electronics, you have to be more careful. When I have electronics shipped to me in the winter, I let them sit at room temperature for a full 24 hours before powering them up.

Dec 8, 2006 at 2:34 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by DJGeorgeT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have some headphones being delivered in the winter. UPS/FEDEX usually drops them and they sit outside for 5 hours at maybe 10 deg F. How bad is cold on headphones????????? Should I worry?

I used a pair of AKG K271s as earmuffs in the winters, and no ill effects there. I think you should be ok.

Dec 8, 2006 at 2:47 PM Post #9 of 13
Yea, I don't think there's an issue. Closed cans are ideal, but I managed a full Canadian winter with open cans last year and made it through without any ill effects. Definitely make sure your DAP/PCDP and amp are nicely tucked away into your coat though.

Dec 8, 2006 at 2:58 PM Post #10 of 13
My iM716s were shipped via UPS and the guy left it on my front porch (I was at work)
At least he/she tried to put it in the corner to make it slightly harder to see.

It was around -10C and they worked fine right out of the cold.

Dec 8, 2006 at 4:28 PM Post #12 of 13
Not an issue whatsoever. Remember, some of these headphones are shipped in unheated cargo compartments from Europe. Also, if it's packaged well, it should be a few degrees warmer in the box than outside. Finally, there is really nothing that cold can do to the components in headphones, other than make some parts temporarily stiffer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back