How Close Should Amp and Speaker Specs Match?
Dec 10, 2011 at 12:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

AlbinoBlacMan

Head-Fier
How close should my amp and speaker specs match? For example I'm looking at purchasing an AVA modified Dynaco ST-70 (Ultimate 70). The Output 35wpc (which I assume means watts per channel) continuous and 80 watts peak.

Now I'm looking at paradigm speakers to go with it because we have a good local dealer so they seem like a good place to start.

specs on the mini monitor look like this
SPECIFICATIONS
Design 2-driver, 2-way bass reflex,
quasi-3rd-order resistive port,
bookshelf / stand-mounted
Crossover 2nd-order electro-acoustic at 2.0 kHz
High-Frequency Driver 25-mm (1 in) S-PAL™ dome tweeter,
ferro-fluid cooled and damped
Bass / Midrange Driver 165-mm (6-1/2 in) S-PAL™ cone
25-mm (1 in) high-temperature
voice-coil, oversize ceramic /
ferrite magnets, GRIP™ chassis
Low-Frequency Extension* 42 Hz (DIN)
Frequency Response:
On-Axis
30° Off-Axis

±2 dB from 75 Hz - 22 kHz
±2 dB from 75 Hz - 18 kHz
Sensitivity - Room / Anechoic 90 dB / 87 dB
Suitable Amplifier Power Range 15 - 100 watts
Maximum Input Power† 80 watts
Impedance Compatible with 8 ohms
Height, Width, Depth 34.3 cm x 19.4 cm x 26.5 cm
13-1/2 in x 7-5/8 in x 10-1/2 in
Weight (unpacked) 7.7 kg / 17 lb each
Finishes Black Ash, Heritage Cherry
Paradigm Stands (sold sep.) S-26, J-29

Now I assume I don't want my amp's peak to be more than the maximum input power? Is this correct (don't wan't to wreck the speakers) so that should be at least 80 which it is on these. Next it lists suitable amplifier power range which 15-100 watts. Why is this 100 which is more than maximum power input? Second where in this range do I want to be? 35 wpc seems to be on the low end of 15-100. Will it be enough power? Is there any go to rules for this (like to I want to right in the middle or top quarter or anything?)

Thanks,
Chris

Dec 10, 2011 at 7:18 PM Post #3 of 3

Quote:
Now I assume I don't want my amp's peak to be more than the maximum input power? Is this correct (don't wan't to wreck the speakers) so that should be at least 80 which it is on these. Next it lists suitable amplifier power range which 15-100 watts. Why is this 100 which is more than maximum power input? Second where in this range do I want to be? 35 wpc seems to be on the low end of 15-100. Will it be enough power? Is there any go to rules for this (like to I want to right in the middle or top quarter or anything?)

Thanks,
Chris

Recommended power ratings for speakers are little more than suggestions, you don't need to pay that much attention to them. What matters is the speaker's sensitivity rating (90dB in room is fairly efficient) and the amplifier's output. Under-driving a speaker (not enough Watts from the amplifier) is far more dangerous to the speaker than over-driving it. If the amp is pushed to its maximum it will clip, and this is what destroys drivers. You could connect a 1000W amplifier to those speakers and be just fine. If you push the volume high enough to over-drive the speakers, you'll hear it in compression and distortion before the possibility of real damage to the drivers appears.

Assuming you don't have a huge room, you should be fine with a 35W amplifier for 90dB efficient speakers. Efficiency is measured at 1 meter, and you've got enough headroom there for roughly 102-105dB at 1 meter (generally speaking of course).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back