How can you tell which headphones have HP1000 drivers?
May 2, 2010 at 9:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Bilavideo

Caution: Incomplete trades.
That's my big question. I understand some of the older Grado Prestige Series phones had HP1000 drivers - including some of the SR100 and SR200. But how do you know whether you're getting HP1000 drivers and not just something with drivers analogous to the SR125?

May 3, 2010 at 12:29 AM Post #2 of 13
You should see white caps on the back of the drivers (through the rear screen). Also, there should be small pleats on the very center of the diaphragm (viewed through the middle hole on the driver cap).

May 3, 2010 at 1:27 AM Post #3 of 13
HP1000 drivers are white. Viewed from the inner side of the cup there is a black cap in the middle, sometimes called a 'blackstar' because it has numerous ridges emannating from the centre giving it a star-like appearance. Here's a pic:

driver2.jpg

And the other side:

driver1.jpg

May 3, 2010 at 2:35 AM Post #5 of 13
Another thing to watch out for is the headband(If you are looking at photos that don't show the drivers). They have to be the wider type to take the extra weight of the HP1000 drivers.

May 3, 2010 at 5:03 AM Post #6 of 13
Good info to watch out for, thanks!

May 3, 2010 at 9:59 PM Post #8 of 13
Duckmans drivers look different from my SR200 drivers. Everything's about the same but (on second picture, rear screen view) there is something written on the inside (between the inner and outer ring), looks like STONATUFF PRODUCTS or something. Never saw this before.
confused_face(1).gif

May 3, 2010 at 10:04 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beagle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Duckmans drivers look different from my SR200 drivers. Everything's about the same but (on second picture, rear screen view) there is something written on the inside (between the inner and outer ring), looks like STONATUFF PRODUCTS or something. Never saw this before.
confused_face(1).gif

It says joseph grado signature products (If I recall) and was put on some HP-1000 drivers.

they are still mostly white though which is the key.

May 4, 2010 at 12:25 AM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by nikongod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It says joseph grado signature products (If I recall) and was put on some HP-1000 drivers.

Thank you. Now I can see that that's what it says.

May 4, 2010 at 3:47 AM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhythmdevils /img/forum/go_quote.gif
also, if the heavens don't open up before you when you listen to it, then it doesn't have hp1000 drivers. That's probably the most conclusive of the tests.

Through a good amp, mind you! They can be a bit underwhelming without good ampage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back