How can you tell old and new PX 100's apart?
Jan 31, 2006 at 10:51 AM Post #2 of 7
i would also like to know the answer to this
orphsmile.gif
orphsmile.gif
orphsmile.gif
orphsmile.gif

Jan 31, 2006 at 11:16 AM Post #3 of 7
FWIW, when the new ones just came out people were dissapointed. they prefered the old ones. Now people seem to prefer the new ones.
I stopped trying to make sence of all the different opinions on head-fi long ago. But I think it's safe to say that there probably isn't a difference in quality as much as a difference in in preferance.

Locutus,
Bass heavy, that sounds like the old ones. Does it sound like the basss kind of overpowers the mids and highs a bit? Is the sound overall dark? (When you listen to the radio do people have darker voices now?) That's what the old ones sound like.

Jan 31, 2006 at 11:59 AM Post #4 of 7
If you're happy with them, then you have the improved version, whichever it is.
wink.gif

FWIW, I find that my new (black) PX100 has a finer sound than my previous (about 1 year old) 2 pairs. Not by that much, but enough to leave me really pleased. It seems both more coherent and more balanced (without losing bass depth).

Jan 31, 2006 at 12:03 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lisa
Locutus

Well, I guess that must be me.
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lisa
Bass heavy, that sounds like the old ones. Does it sound like the basss kind of overpowers the mids and highs a bit? Is the sound overall dark? (When you listen to the radio do people have darker voices now?) That's what the old ones sound like.

Well, the bass seemed a bit loud compared to the rest of the spectrum, actually. But I can't say that I found anything lacking elsewhere. I checked the "bass boost" on the old, POS, discman I tried them with several times, because i thought it had to be on full blast, but no. It actually sounded almost distorded on pretty normal volumes. (Just tha bass, that is.) I'm not going to cunclude anything from this, since that old discman is in NO WAY trustworthy. I'll update when I test the PX100s with a decent source. I'm in the market for an mp3 player, so I'll look into it soon.

Jan 31, 2006 at 8:03 PM Post #6 of 7
I picked up a $30 "logic" mp3 player on the way home from work today, and tried them with that and some 192 kbps mp3s, and it evened out a lot. They sound much more balanced now. Now just wait until I get my hands on an X5L!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back