How can you get the best quality out of an mp3 or alternative format ?
Jun 3, 2006 at 10:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

ozshadow

500+ Head-Fier
This is completely based on buying online, so the files gonna start as a mp3 or wma file from what I have seen, most likely 128 kbs, and not ripped from a CD.

Do any sites sell other formats ? What formats are best ? Can these be converted to something better ?

This is played on a Creative Zen player, which has a good sound, its just the better the headphone, the more you notice its an mp3 and not a CD you are listening to.

Jun 4, 2006 at 12:00 AM Post #2 of 13
I can't comment on sites for better quality MP3's, or other formats available over the Internet because I don't pick up my music that way.

However, on your question about converting them to something better ...
You can take a FLAC to MP3, or something like that, but you will never be able to improve the quality of the copy over the original. At best, it will be just as good (or bad), but never better.

Jun 4, 2006 at 12:01 AM Post #3 of 13
Unfortunately you're going to be limited to 128 kbps files from most download sites which certainly won't show off compressed music in its best light. If you must download (vs. rip from CDs) then try www.allofmp3.com where you can choose any download format. The albums marked OEEX are coded direct from CD wav files to the format of your choice... choose LAME preset standard or extreme and you'll probably be much happier with the SQ and in most cases will not be able to tell a difference from CD.

Jun 4, 2006 at 6:15 AM Post #4 of 13
most of the legal places to buy music will have its own copyright DRM encoded music files so you can't convert it to another format, and since mp3 doesnt have DRM that leaves you with little choice. Unless your player plays drm wma files, idk anything about it. And those mp3 sites you see are most likely Russian, do you really want to give the Russian mafia your credit card? If you were planning on buying music from a reputable place, you should have bought an ipod. Or better yet just buy the cd and rip it yourself to vbr LAME mp3

Jun 4, 2006 at 12:46 PM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

If you were planning on buying music from a reputable place, you should have bought an ipod.

I'll never cease to be amazed at some of the things I read on this forum.

Jun 4, 2006 at 2:38 PM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by ozshadow
This is completely based on buying online, so the files gonna start as a mp3 or wma file from what I have seen, most likely 128 kbs, and not ripped from a CD.

Do any sites sell other formats ? What formats are best ? Can these be converted to something better ?

This is played on a Creative Zen player, which has a good sound, its just the better the headphone, the more you notice its an mp3 and not a CD you are listening to.

try yahoo unlimited, msn music, napster to go, wal-mart, and fye. I believe all those outlets offer files higher then the typicl 128 acc stuff. All Of MP3 is good, but I think it is illegal outside of the us. yourmusic.com has a wonderful service going. I persoanlly wish their was a netflix for music.

Jun 4, 2006 at 9:10 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by ILikeMusic
I'll never cease to be amazed at some of the things I read on this forum.

what is that supposed to mean? Can you name a better legal music service? Sony connect? Music matchs wma? and NO, Russian mp3 sites dont count

Jun 4, 2006 at 9:20 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by photek
what is that supposed to mean? Can you name a better legal music service? Sony connect? Music matchs wma? and NO, Russian mp3 sites dont count

www.emusic.com

I don't care if it is indie-only, this is the only worthwhile online music store IMO.

Jun 4, 2006 at 10:32 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

It's supposed to mean 'If you were planning on buying music from a reputable place, you should have bought an ipod' is a ridiculous comment. There are many large, capable, and fully legal download sites besides iTunes, many of which have already been mentioned in this thread. I don't know what 'better' means since that is subjective, but depending on your needs some of these sites may be better than iTunes, for instance if you like subscription services, looking for a lower price, etc.

And allofmp3.com does count since it blows most other download sites away in terms of size of library, download formats, etc. It is used my millions of subscribers (the second most popular service in the UK behind iTunes) and as far as I'm aware there's never been a single case of credit card fraud by the 'Russian Mafia'
rolleyes.gif
. It is true that allofmp3 is quasi-legal at best (due to copyright issues and not any other type of fraud) and will probably be shut down someday, but hopefully not before they have taught other service providers a lesson in the right way to do things.

Jun 5, 2006 at 3:42 AM Post #11 of 13
I gave my money to alleged russian mafia (is there any proof to that allegations - or it is automatically assumed to associate Russians with mafia...
Ever since I enjoy trouble free FLAC downloads at very, very reasonable fee. BTW I discovered mafia site when I had to fix the format of my album bought from iTunes. To do this I visited few forums (not many nice words about iTunes-iPod monopoly out there) had to get TuneBites etc. Lost fair bit of time fiddling with my own music, to make it play on my DAP (and I don't have iPod, audio quality is not on par with "others" I'm afraid). Needless to say iTunes are deleted from my computer.

Jun 5, 2006 at 8:22 PM Post #12 of 13
I second the recommendation about www.emusic.com -- they use fairly high quality VBR MP3.

You can also check out www.musicgiants.com -- they feature 100% lossless WMA files, and LOTS of major label stuff. They do use DRM, but since it's lossless, you can just burn CDs and then import into anything you want (legal under fair use since you bought the lossless files).

allofmp3.com is not legal in the US and could land you in trouble with the RIAA, and trust me, if you think they won;t sue you, you're dreaming. I have never downloaded even one song illegally, and I'm glad, since I know someone who got a $7,000 "bill" from the RIAA. Pay or get sued.

Jun 6, 2006 at 3:23 PM Post #13 of 13
There is a wealth of music available with creative commons licensing. magnatune distribute CC licensed music and there is some interesting stuff available as either streamed, vbr MP3, or FLAC.

If you feel uncomfortable about using dubious sites, hate DRM, and think the RIAA are
evil_smiley.gif
it's a good way to find and support artists.

Matt

Users who are viewing this thread

Back