How can logitech get away with basically lying?
Jun 20, 2005 at 8:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

taymat

500+ Head-Fier
On their site they make a lot of claims about their speakers, especially the z-2300, two of which I got really annoyed with:
'8-inch long-throw subwoofer driver with flared bass port pounds out powerful, distortion-free bass'
No it doesn't, no subwoofer has low distortion especially one with a bandpass (6th order) design.
'Polished aluminum phase plug at the center of the driver outperforms conventional 2-way designs'
How? I've heard very expensive transmission line designs with high quality drivers may come close to 2 way speakers in the midrange, but engineers know multiple driver designs are far superior overall.

Jun 20, 2005 at 9:56 PM Post #2 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by taymat
'Polished aluminum phase plug at the center of the driver outperforms conventional 2-way designs'
How? I've heard very expensive transmission line designs with high quality drivers may come close to 2 way speakers in the midrange, but engineers know multiple driver designs are far superior overall.

Outperforms in their price range perhaps?

Jun 21, 2005 at 1:47 AM Post #4 of 5
From Planet_10, diyaudio guru's website:

Phase plugs can do a number of things:

1/ by removing the dust cap (and filling the resulting cylindrical void, you get rid of the "soup can" resonances in that little cylinder
2/ the distance from one edge of the cone to the other is essentially halved, pushing any resonances there up an octave
4/ depending on the shape can redirect high frequencies
3/ if metal (and termally bonded to the pole piece) it can act as a heatsink.

Full range speakers are preferred by many, not just logitech, engineers be damned.

Jun 21, 2005 at 8:06 PM Post #5 of 5
Audio manufacturers can basically get away with making whatever claims they want as long as they're not outlandish or say misleading things about competitors. There are very few regulations with respect to audio products. The only things that have clear regulations are power ratings for 1 and 2 channel audio amplifiers, and even then, the Federal Trade Comission has never sued a manufacturer for misleading power claims.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back