How can I use my soundcard's full potential? Help!
Apr 24, 2014 at 12:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

NAeternal

New Head-Fier
So, I've a alc269 soundcard and it's peak is 98 db. I have a FLAC archive and some songs don't even full the volume bar. (meaning can't achive 98db peak?)

like that?

So I want all my flac files to have 98db peak level, use the full potential of my sound card.

Please do help and save me from buying an amp :)

Apr 24, 2014 at 1:07 PM Post #2 of 7
  So, I've a alc269 soundcard and it's peak is 98 db. I have a FLAC archive and some songs don't even full the volume bar. (meaning can't achive 98db peak?)

like that?

So I want all my flac files to have 98db peak level, use the full potential of my sound card.

?
Does peak in every song have to be at 0dB? If you want that then you have to normalize all your audio files to achieve that level. How? Audacity, ReplayGain, ...in generally, most audio editors/recording software can be used for to do normalization

Apr 24, 2014 at 1:11 PM Post #3 of 7
Well, I've scanned Dream Theater's newest album as you said. Used replaygain, it normalized the song but now the grey bar never reaches the top? And the song is much quieter.

Apr 24, 2014 at 1:14 PM Post #4 of 7
  Well, I've scanned Dream Theater's newest album as you said. Used replaygain, it normalized the song but now the grey bar never reaches the top? And the song is much quieter.

Did you normalize to 0dB (is there some default you used)? RG maybe does more you think 1st so can you try with say Audacity.

Apr 24, 2014 at 1:22 PM Post #5 of 7
1)BEFORE REPLAYGAIN

2)REPLAYGAIN SETTINGS (SCAN PER FILE)

3)AFTER APPLYING REPLAYGAIN

After replaygain the grey bar doesn't even reach %75. I want my songs to have the loudest peak as possible like i said.

Apr 25, 2014 at 6:21 PM Post #6 of 7
Don't use Replaygain if you want a 98db peak, you don't understand how Replaygain works.

http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?title=Replaygain

ReplayGain is different from peak normalization. Peak normalization merely ensures that the peak amplitude reaches a certain level. This does not ensure equal loudness. The ReplayGain technique measures the effective power of the waveform (i.e. the RMS power after applying an "equal loudness contour"), and then adjusts the amplitude of the waveform accordingly. The result is that Replay Gained waveforms are usually more uniformly amplified than peak-normalized waveforms.

If you need to always have a 98db for your equipment to work properly, then it really looks like you need to get a amp.

Apr 26, 2014 at 12:35 AM Post #7 of 7

Is the output you're getting not loud enough? If so, then increasing the digital signal levels is not the right answer: you may get overall loudness increase, but the peaks may end up being distorted, and that would sound really bad. Looks like you want more power, and that's what amps do.

Peak levels are not meant to be utilised all the time - they are there as a reserve, so that spikes of signal can be handled without distortions. If you manage to increase the levels you will most likely end up with more problems than benefits. You don't drive your car at the max power all the time, do you? 

98dB is quite a lot of space to keep the noise floor dead silent and the peaks reaching your volume tolerance levels, well above enjoyable. Looks like your system is behaving correctly, so don't lose your sleep over this. And if you need more power then get an amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back