How can I use my Pimeta/Tread to power an Ipod?
Sep 6, 2005 at 10:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

BavariaBarbarian

100+ Head-Fier
Hi there!

I've recently (finally... ) finished my Pimeta.
(Btw. I like how it sounds quite a lot, and tip my hat to Tangent and the great people here in the DIY-section.)

It runs off a 20V AC Power-adapter regulated by a Tread.
Now I figured it would be convenient to also power my Ipod through the Tread (especially as I've lost the original Ipod-PS on my last holiday-trip).

Now if I hook up the Ipod and switch on just the Tread, not the amp, all's fine: the Ipod lights up and charges.
If I connect just the Ipods lineout, all's well also: I can hear the music play.

However if I connect power and audio, the sond fails. It gets really soft and distorted. - Sounds like a grounding problem, and indeed, I discovered that the Ipod internally connects audio-ground to firewire-ground (and that's also V-).
So signal-ground is suddenly the same as V- of the power supply and while I'm not sure I completely understand what this does to the Pimeta circuit, it sure stops it from working.

Now what can I do to make this work?

Many thanks in advance,

Mat

Sep 6, 2005 at 11:00 AM Post #2 of 4
What happens when you connect the V- to the virtual ground on the amp (in ground) via the Ipod?
It is no longer half the supply voltage right?
wink.gif

Sep 6, 2005 at 11:56 AM Post #3 of 4
Ah! Pretty obvious, actually...
wink.gif
I think I understand.

So if i connected the Ipod to V+ and Vground, that would solve my problem, right? Give the Ipod ~10V, leave vground in order.
But the TLE railsplitter can't source the amount of current that the Ipod draws...
So I'd have to use another virtual ground circuit?
confused.gif

Doh!

Sep 6, 2005 at 12:14 PM Post #4 of 4
id just go get another ipod charger, theyre cheap on ebay or the like anyway. and you'd be able to charge your ipod elsewhere too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back