How can I torture my Grados before...
Sep 22, 2001 at 6:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

chadbang

Headphoneus Supremus
I throw them in the back of a closet for good? I know a lot of people think most of the "breaking in" period has to do with our eardrums adjusting to a new kind of headphone, but I'm not willing to suffer headaches to adjust to these SR80s. So, are there recommendation for *breaking* (think broncho busting) the highs on the SR80s I bought and hate? As this is do or die, every extreme will be considered. I'm willing to do about everything to them, short of running N'Synch through them for a week - I couldn't be that cruel to anything.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Sep 22, 2001 at 6:20 PM Post #2 of 9
ANY extreme? Two words: Butter knife!
evil_smiley.gif

Ahem, uh maybe different pads?

Sep 22, 2001 at 6:35 PM Post #3 of 9
Already tried them with a piece of accoustic foam inserted (it would be difficult to get Grado pads here, so I improvised). Butter knife? How rewarding that sounds...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Sep 22, 2001 at 6:45 PM Post #4 of 9
not on topic AT ALL:

chadbang - is that really a Bukowski stamp?? American stamp at that? I've always read that Buk was never really accepted in the US of A and was much more popular in Europe (Germany and France in particular)... I guess times are changing. Anyway, great avatar! Buk is one of my favorites
cool.gif

Sep 22, 2001 at 7:01 PM Post #5 of 9
Ah, how I wish it were real. How ironic would that be? The POST OFFICE recoginizing The Buk! No, I found the image on ebay. Someone made a mock stamp and is selling the image on mouse pads and tee-shirts. Sorry if you got excited. Yeah. Got to love the Buk. I ran a poetry mag in Princeton and he used to submit to it. It was one of the great thrills of my life. I probably have last recording he ever made reading poems. I was having a fundraiser and he and Linda Bukowski had just gotten a camcorder, so he sent me video of himself reading the poems he had sent to my mag. A few months later I moved to LA to try my hand at screenwriting and I was making plans to meet him, went he into the hospital and died. One of my greatest regrets!

Sep 22, 2001 at 7:07 PM Post #6 of 9
wow!

Quote:

he sent me video of himself reading the poems he had sent to my mag.

Quote:

I ran a poetry mag in Princeton and he used to submit to it.

Truly amazing!! I'm infintely jealous. Though perhaps it is wise to let your heroes stay heroes. Well.. buk is different than your typical american hero
wink.gif
lol .. anyway had i met him he would have described me as one of the twits who show up with a 6-pack and a fifth of whiskey, bothering him into the early hours.

Sep 22, 2001 at 7:40 PM Post #7 of 9

Lol! I worried about exactly the same thing!

Sep 22, 2001 at 9:18 PM Post #8 of 9
muffling the highs with foam may not work too well. you can get a better reduction in highs by changing the distance of the driver to your ears. try putting the pads on backwards.

Sep 22, 2001 at 10:57 PM Post #9 of 9
chadbang: well......if nothing works out, contact me....there are plenty of Grado-less ppl out there.......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back