How can I test for a bit perfect output?
Jul 12, 2004 at 8:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

SSSSSmokey

New Head-Fier
I've got an AV710 flashed with the Prodigy firmware. It is working great (Prodigy drivers > Getting Kicked in the Balls > Via Drivers) but I want to be positive it is outputing bit-perfect.

Currently I'm using ASIO (no ASIO4ALL BS, it works perfect right after flashing!) with Foobar.

Also, I don't get any output when I turn on the resampler in Foobar. It plays fine, then I add the resampler and boom, no sound. I take it off and it starts right up again. I can get it to run if I set it to 44.1KHz, but when I set it to anything else I get no audio.

Jul 12, 2004 at 8:49 AM Post #2 of 8
Sounds like you've go things set up perfectly.

If you want to test, the easiest way is to download a 44.1kHz PCM encoded DTS/Dolby Digital test file and try playing it back through a digital link to a home theatre receiver that can decode DTS/Dolby Digital. If all the bits come through unchanged, the receiver will be able to decode it, and you'll hear music. Otherwise, you'll hear loud static. If you're concerned about the quality of your digital output, it's worth borrowing a friend's HT receiver for an evening just to try this out.

Here are some links for test files (they might not all still work):
http://www.5dot1.com/articles/ac-3_5...to_a_cd-r.html
http://www.modernrecording.com/artic...6kbps_3min.ZIP
http://www.sr.se/multikanal/english/e_index.stm

The other way to check for bit-perfectness is to connect the card's digital out to a sound card with a digital in, and record the output and compare it on a bit-by-bit basis with the source material, after adjusting for the initial offset. There is one guy on HydrogenAudio who does this.

Jul 12, 2004 at 12:12 PM Post #4 of 8
try 88.2kHz, try setting the samplerate in Prodigy drivers.. use 24bit padded to 32bit..

Jul 14, 2004 at 12:57 AM Post #5 of 8
This is what I get with 88.2:
Code:

Code:
[left]INFO (foo_output_asio(dll)) : open : 88200 Hz, LINEAR PCM, 32 bits, 2 channels ERROR (foo_output_asio(dll)) : unsupported sample rate.[/left]

With 96kHz, I get no errors, I just don't get any sound. Also, when I change the sample rate in the prodigy driver thing, it doesn't resample it. It just treats it like the setting is the sample rate of the audio and raises the pitch or lowers the pitch depending on whether I raise or lower the sample rate. Freaky, huh?

Last thing: What should my ASIO settings look like? Right now they are:
Device: ASIO 2.0 - ProDigy 7.1
Thread Priority: Time Critical
Buffer Size: 8
Shift Output Channels: 0???

I read in a different thread that you are supposed to shift them by 8 to get past all of the Prodigy's analog channels, but mine is at 0 and is playing.
When I shift by 8 I get this error:
Code:

Code:
[left]ERROR (foo_output_asio(dll)) : too many channels.[/left]

Sorry for all the questions, but I want to get the best quality from my new card!
icon10.gif

Jul 14, 2004 at 2:24 AM Post #6 of 8
did you notice a measurable quality jump after the flash?

Jul 14, 2004 at 3:13 AM Post #7 of 8
Well, I already had bit perfect going with the Via drivers, so no. However, if the VIA drivers are getting punched in the balls by Mike Tyson, the Prodigy drivers are like a BJ.

Yes, it is that much of a difference. You can't use the analog outs though, what a shame.

Jul 14, 2004 at 3:23 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by SSSSSmokey
Well, I already had bit perfect going with the Via drivers, so no. However, if the VIA drivers are getting punched in the balls by Mike Tyson, the Prodigy drivers are like a BJ.

ha, currently mine stopped acting up, so I'm just going to take if it ain't broke, don't fix it stance
icon10.gif

t/y though

Users who are viewing this thread

Back