How can I tell if my FLAC file is truly lossless, and not converted from a lossy file?
Jun 7, 2012 at 7:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

stven007

New Head-Fier
Pretty much what the title says. I've heard that there's a program that will help you detect whether the lossless rip is legitimate? If there is, how does it work? 

Jun 7, 2012 at 10:04 AM Post #3 of 7
These programs can only "guess" if the source was lossless by looking at the spectrum and trying to detect artifacts that are inherent to lossy codecs, e.g. a low pass filter.

The simplest way to be 100% sure is to rip and encode CDs yourself, period. There's also AccurateRip which can be used to check if an album was ripped correctly (which checks checksums vs. an online database of user's submissions).

Jun 9, 2012 at 7:57 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:
why will people do that anyway? converting lossy to flac doesnt improve the quality of the file but just makes it bigger...

Because they can. A lot of garbage can be found on file sharing sites, including bad rips, transcoded stuff ...

Jun 13, 2012 at 9:40 AM Post #7 of 7
You can use any audio editor to check the frequency range of the file.
I personally like Wavepad Sound Editor (no advertising intended).
If the highest frequencies of your file are below 20.5 kHz (check out the screenshot, ~ 18.5 kHz), then the file has been previously compressed with some lossy codec.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back